Is this a Fossil?

Jules Poirier

Can we have the scale please, and the strata it came from, and, if possible, the age?

• Thank You 1

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

1 minute ago, IsaacTheFossilMan said:

Can we have the scale please, and the strata it came from, and, if possible, the age?

The size of a matchbox car. I live on the side of a mountain, Mt Rogers Rec area, and have a creek that runs down my property.

The odds strongly favor two fossils actually. The first an oyster shell. The second the barnacles encrusting it.

• Thank You 1

Oops. Should have looked closer first. This appears to be the remnant of other fossil pieces instead of barnacles. 

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Jules Poirier said:

The size of a matchbox car. I live on the side of a mountain, Mt Rogers Rec area, and have a creek that runs down my property.

What is a matchbox car? Put a ruler or something next to it and send a picture, much more universal!

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

4 minutes ago, IsaacTheFossilMan said:

What is a matchbox car? Put a ruler or something next to it and send a picture, much more universal!

PXL_20210209_204550387.jpg

• Thank You 1

I agree with Rockwood. This a piece of an oyster with attached matrix/residual fossils. Looks like the dark material is phosphatic and I wouldn't be surprised if there is some tiny bone and teeth fragments.

• Enjoyed 1

22 minutes ago, Jules Poirier said:

I found this in my creek. Stood out, not like typical creek rocks. 

PXL_20210207_184431170.jpg

Is this the same specimen? (sorry for the stupid question!)

I agree with Thomas, and Rockwood. The inquisitive child in me can't help but attempt to work out if the residue is indeed fossils, or the remnants thereof, of matrix... Any further information regarding said specimen would be helpful! Small question @Jules Poirier - did you find it in the Ridge-and-Valley Appalachians? (bless my Google searching on the physiography of Virginia!)

• Thank You 1

6 minutes ago, IsaacTheFossilMan said:

Is this the same specimen? (sorry for the stupid question!)

Yes. The back of it. 

• Thank You 1

For me, it looks like Neogen material.

• Thank You 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

24 minutes ago, IsaacTheFossilMan said:

I agree with Thomas, and Rockwood. The inquisitive child in me can't help but attempt to work out if the residue is indeed fossils, or the remnants thereof, of matrix... Any further information regarding said specimen would be helpful! Small question @Jules Poirier - did you find it in the Ridge-and-Valley Appalachians? (bless my Google searching on the physiography of Virginia!)

Screenshot_20210209-155358.png

I live in a gorge on the side of a mountain. The creek flows down my property. The top of Whitetop is about 5,000 feet. I'm at about 2,900 feet. The volcano here that erupted a zillion years ago formed up these mountains. I find crazy stuff. And of course part of this area b4 the boom was sea. I don't have any knowledge of fossils, I mainly look for arrowheads, indian artifacts, since there is a burial cave across the creek.  

I see a nice piece of chert with bits of heavily eroded fossils encrusting it. To use mining terms, I’d call this a “placer”, which indicates there is indeed a fossil bed somewhere upstream that will likely produce some very cool specimens. I’d spend more time hiking the stream and looking for the source it eroded from.

sadly, there isn’t much left to make an ID on this specimen, but it is worth investigation of the likely source.

• Thank You 1

1 minute ago, Jules Poirier said:

zillion years ago

Could be just a might long.  Likely somewhere around 400,000,000.

• Thank You 1

Just now, Rockwood said:

Could be just a might long.  Likely somewhere around 400,000,000.

Haha. Okay. 

5 minutes ago, LabRatKing said:

I see a nice piece of chert with bits of heavily eroded fossils encrusting it. To use mining terms, I’d call this a “placer”, which indicates there is indeed a fossil bed somewhere upstream that will likely produce some very cool specimens. I’d spend more time hiking the stream and looking for the source it eroded from.

sadly, there isn’t much left to make an ID on this specimen, but it is worth investigation of the likely source.

I've never had the treat of hunting on streams, but this seems like solid reasoning to me, I agree.

• Enjoyed 1

I have miles of creeks. Water is lowest in the summer, but it's great after a big snow melt or rain fall. New discoveries. Today I went up the side of the mountain and found a small cave under a little run off. Tomorrow, I will be n that cave. 

2 minutes ago, Jules Poirier said:

You are more than welcome to come investigate. 

From a Covid point of view, plus the Atlantic Ocean... I'm going to have to say no, unfortunately, but thanks for the offer! :)

• I Agree 1

Just now, IsaacTheFossilMan said:

From a Covid point of view, plus the Atlantic Ocean... I'm going to have to say no, unfortunately, but thanks for the offer! :)

This too shall pass

Just now, Jules Poirier said:

I have miles of creeks. Water is lowest in the summer, but it's great after a big snow melt or rain fall. New discoveries. Today I went up the side of the mountain and found a small cave under a little run off. Tomorrow, I will be n that cave. 

Make sure you be careful with caves, wear a hard hat, please! We don't want to be in a position where we could have given help in a dangerous situation, but didn't!

3 minutes ago, IsaacTheFossilMan said:

I've never had the treat of hunting on streams, but this seems like solid reasoning to me, I agree.

Growing up in north western Pennsylvania, pretty much all fossil hunting was hiking the tributaries of Lake Erie and the Allegheny River. Not gonna lie, I miss spending the summer days knee deep in cool water chasing salamanders and finding fossils in virtually every rock!

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1