TOMLOV Digital Microscope? Any one use one?

JamieLynn

+1 for getting a scope camera that plugs into your laptop. Couple reasons why that is helpful; if you want sharp photos, you will probably need to do some manner of Z-stacking (there are various free software tools for this) so having the ability to focus increment by increment and see how you're doing that is helpful. You can also calibrate the photography software to automatically put in scale bars etc, which can be helpful if you're trying to preserve size information when taking pictures. It also means that, if you're doing fine prep or picking sediment under the scope, you don't have anything between your eyes and the specimen except for the lenses (i.e. you don't have lag from the camera and software). As LabRatKing said, you can put something together relatively cheaply if you get a used scope body and make some good decisions with lenses, cameras, and so on. 

• I Agree 1

There used to be a microscopes only forum that was amazing, but it is long gone and I don't remember the name.

These days, there is MicrobeHunter, which has lots and lots of microscopy tips, tricks and pro level advice...and a few familiar faces. Sure, they have a biology slant, but optics is optics!

6 hours ago, Bob Saunders said:

The tiny mite Gastropod at top left. 40 thousands. 0.004 in.   1.016 mm Motic with Phone at 4 X about 440 X  

Still not sure what type it is. 

20201230_164632.jpg

20210224_133042_HDR.jpg

This image is unedited. Phone is on auto, image says HDR or high definition resolution. scope's Halogen lamp plus IKEA LED clamp lamp.  

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Bob Saunders said:

This image is unedited. Phone is on auto, image says HDR or high definition resolution. scope's Halogen lamp plus IKEA LED clamp lamp.  

Looks like you are figuring out the process! Your first photos were good, this recent one is amazing! Please come to Nebraska and teach my students for me...they don't listen to me in the lab...:heartylaugh:

1 hour ago, LabRatKing said:

teach my students for me...they don't listen to me in the lab...:heartylaugh:

Well, your current avatar DOES have a teeny, tiny, barely there, Bane look to it. Probably has nothing to do with it though. 

maxresdefault.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

9 hours ago, LabRatKing said:

Looks like you are figuring out the process! Your first photos were good, this recent one is amazing! Please come to Nebraska and teach my students for me...they don't listen to me in the lab...:heartylaugh:

The Gastropod is identified as an Petaloconchus sculpturatus.

Phylum: Mollusca; Class: Gastropoda; Order: Littorinimorpha; Family: Vermetidae; Genus: Petaloconchus; Species: Petaloconchus sculpturatus (Lea, 1846).
  • Enjoyed 1

8 hours ago, daves64 said:

Well, your current avatar DOES have a teeny, tiny, barely there, Bane look to it. Probably has nothing to do with it though. 

maxresdefault.jpg

I was told War Boy makeup was unprofessional and I do a mean impression of Tom Hardy channeling Sean Connery...that respirator was a natural choice...