Daspletosaurus tooth (?)

TheItalianPaleo

Hi everyone,

So I came across a tooth that says this tooth comes from a carnivore (Gorgosaur/Daspletosaur), is 3.81 cm in length.

The seller is a Daspletosaurus, but you know, before buying anything I have to ask your opinion.

It was found in the Two Medicine Formation.

There was a debate as to whether it was either a Gorgosaurus or a Daspletosaurus.

So the questions are: Is it a Daspletosaurus or a Gorgosaurus? In what condition it is?

9A23EC9D-C06B-4C71-942E-D9886F19D3DA.jpeg

5085F6AB-760D-4AC8-AA2E-EBFB79964111.jpeg

3B9A3B7C-4333-45E2-9613-69D435EB2332.jpeg

85722787-B647-4524-A9E5-0633FC4F3634.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Really hard to tell the difference between Daspletosaurus and Gorgosaurus teeth. I don’t think you’ll be able to tell a difference with this tooth.

• I found this Informative 1

10 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Do you have a location need State and County where it was found to verify its from the Two Medicine Fm

It cames from North Montana

That is not a adequate locality.  There are numerous formations in Northern Montana of different ages and dinosaurs.  I typically need the County or nearest town it was found in..  The preservation (color) is more typical of what you see in the Judith River Formation.   Having said that this tooth it's a indeterminate Tyrannosaurid.   It's very difficult to distinguish between Daspletosaurus and Gorgosaurus teeth especially one that has poor serration preservation.   For your budget this is a nice tooth and it's very acceptable to call it an indeterminate Tyrannosaurid 

• I found this Informative 2

There doesn’t seem to be any signs of enamel wrinkles, so we can’t use them to identify what it is.  May I ask what the serration count is over 2 mm on both sides?  And like @Troodon said the locality will also be needed.  

50 minutes ago, TheItalianPaleo said:

The seller didn’t specified the formation. But I think is a very good tooth

Well sadly it can’t be identified without proper locality, but it is a nice tooth

• I Agree 1

As Frank said, it's a tyrannosauridae indet.

If you dislike writing that though, you could label it as Daspletosaurus/Gorgosaurus sp.

That aside, the preservation color looks more like JRF than Two Medicine to me

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!