Aurora NC Fossil Museum Matrix Finds

JamieLynn

Thanks to a post from Candace (  @thelivingdead531 ) I found out about the Aurora Fossil Museum's box o' matrix that they sell! (all moneys benefit the museum, which was a bonus). I got two Gallon Bags of matrix to sift through and wow....some really great stuff! They send a really good ID sheet too. But of course, there's even more info here on the FF! So here are some of my favorite finds so far. I've only gone through about 6 cups of matrix!! SO MUCH MATRIX!  I havn't really done much ID'ing yet (the shark teeth) but my favorite by far is the crab stuff....love those pincers!!  And the color of the shark teeth is amazing....purples and pinks -maybe that's why it's Aurora? :)  

I certainly have enough to keep me entertained for the upcoming week (which, if you aren't in Texas....we are going to be in the single digit temps (Farenheit) with predicted 4 inches of snow....which is COMPLETELY unprecedented to have two snow storms in a winter...) I'm staying INSIDE with my space heater. And looking through matrix....

Crabby bits 

Slide4.JPG.7e67aea52de492d09384dc7a37362482.JPG

Ray Teeth

Slide10.JPG.0f762b1b9f87872c11d497c89f48b6df.JPG

Shark Teeth

Slide5.JPG.cb98c01259b26f5742f067ce324ee763.JPG

Slide6.JPG.ae20027f2e497a1db37b48c012859f73.JPG

Fish Teeth

Slide9.JPG.d20b801e022b324c5816e4c75b338b44.JPG

Echinoid, Coral and Gastropod

Slide7.JPG.004d320ed96ea9997ee979a5bd1c8645.JPG

a Vert and some unknowns...probably fishy bits

Slide8.JPG.93a289892ec0e00ca234e1e45e2d592d.JPG

• Enjoyed 6

32 minutes ago, JamieLynn said:

I'm staying INSIDE with my space heater. And looking through matrix....

Glad to see you've joined the society of micro-matrix pickers (or SMP). :P I'll PM you with the information on the secret handshake. ;)

BTW: The upper left image under "Ray teeth" may be a partial rajid (skate) tooth. @Al Dente or @sixgill pete would be in a position to comment more authoritatively.

Cheers.

-Ken

• Thank You 1

In case you're interested and if it´s cretaceous material, it could be a genus of the family Actinastraeidae. Perhaps Actinastrea or Stelidioseris.

1.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

15 hours ago, JamieLynn said:

Thanks to a post from Candace (  @thelivingdead531 ) I found out about the Aurora Fossil Museum's box o' matrix that they sell! (all moneys benefit the museum, which was a bonus). I got two Gallon Bags of matrix to sift through and wow....some really great stuff! They send a really good ID sheet too. But of course, there's even more info here on the FF! So here are some of my favorite finds so far. I've only gone through about 6 cups of matrix!! SO MUCH MATRIX!  I havn't really done much ID'ing yet (the shark teeth) but my favorite by far is the crab stuff....love those pincers!!  And the color of the shark teeth is amazing....purples and pinks -maybe that's why it's Aurora? :)  

I certainly have enough to keep me entertained for the upcoming week (which, if you aren't in Texas....we are going to be in the single digit temps (Farenheit) with predicted 4 inches of snow....which is COMPLETELY unprecedented to have two snow storms in a winter...) I'm staying INSIDE with my space heater. And looking through matrix....

Ray Teeth

Slide10.JPG.0f762b1b9f87872c11d497c89f48b6df.JPG

Nice specimens.  The ray teeth look like Raja, Dasyatis, Mobula and Myliobatid.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 2

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

The rajid teeth tend to look a bit like Harry Potter sorting hats with bilobed roots that tend to splay widely usually extending past the diameter of the crown.

Rajid C.jpg

The little ray teeth with multiple cusps perpendicular to the multi-lobed roots are indicative of teeth in the genus Mobula like Mobula sp. cf. M. hypostoma (Lesser Devil Ray).

2020-08-17 13-40-54.jpg

Figure 9(U-V) 1.pngFigure 9(U-V) 2.pngFigure 9(U-V) 4.png

Cheers.

-Ken