Another Texas Interstate 35 roadcut fossil hunt

Creek - Don

While visiting family member in Central Texas,  I couldn't resist stopping by roadcut next to the Interstate 35.   Road crews are adding lanes so they were cutting lots of shoulder next to the highway embankments.  I'm finding Inoceramus and giant clams measuring about 3 to 4 feet across.   I have also seen similar giant clams in the DFW Austin Chalk layer, but this one looks almost intact.  

Hillsboro clams4.JPG

Hillsboro clams3.JPG

Hillsboro clams7.JPG

Hillsboro clams6.JPG

Hillsboro clams2.JPG

Hillsboro clams.JPG

Hillsboro clams5.JPG

Hillsboro clams 8.JPG

Hillsboro clams8.JPG

• I found this Informative 6
  • Enjoyed 4
  • Thank You 1

9 hours ago, Sjfriend said:

That is a lot of clam chowder!

Sounds like a great stop.

That clam chowsder will feed an army!  Glad to share my find. 

Wow! That clam is huge! I've seen some Inoceramus in Kansas that size, unfortunately way too fragile to collect. Great opportunity you had and great score! Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

• Thank You 1

4 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Wow! That clam is huge! I've seen some Inoceramus in Kansas that size, unfortunately way too fragile to collect. Great opportunity you had and great score! Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Thanks.  I saw several people finding giant Inceramus clams in Kansas and posted here.  

• 2 weeks later...

Got the matrix removed using my new hammer drill which came in handy especially when removing huge chunks of limestone.    This is a large Inoceramus clam measuring about 24 to 30 inches across  (including the  broken section) and weighing around 60 pounds.  

GIANT CLAM1.JPG

GIANT CLAM2.JPG

GIANT CLAM3.JPG