grg1109

Upper Middle Devonian, Central NY, Tully Limestone.  This is a piece I only recently discovered that I've had.  I'm not quite sure what to make of the figures in the rock.  Rock is approx. 2" X 1 1/8", figures range from approx. 1/8" to 1/4"

Help appreciated

Thanks

Greg

20210213_111949 (2)_LI.jpg

17 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

It's a tricky study in sectioning, but that would seem to be it.

It is a bit tricky, as there are some convincing contenders for it to be something else!

The elliptical shape can throw us off, but I know a lot of the Devonian limestone over here that is cut and used for some landscaping and building do have these "ellipses" kind of like these:

7c56f429025c3f1bc1841d86b86c156e.jpg

The specimen in the upper left of the last photo that is white does show the sections very clearly (assuming it belongs to the other, darker specimens on that rock). 

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

15 minutes ago, Kane said:

The specimen in the upper left of the last photo that is white does show the sections very clearly

Yes, I can see resemblance...along with the Crinoid stem(horizontal section) in the 2nd close up photo...very convincing.

Thanks

Greg

10 minutes ago, val horn said:

What is the size ?  What about foramina?

Dimensions were provided in the first post as 1/8" to 1/4".

The morphology and size doesn't seem quite right for foraminifera. 

Maybe they are eroded Tentaculitids?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Hmm... The closeups add a lot more interesting detail. Perhaps these might be bryozoans? 

So, I would say the elliptical specimens with striations are crinoid, and these other specimens with what appear to be zooecia are bryozoans. Hopefully you didn't miss the much larger ridged line specimen, which is a cross section of a brachiopod. 

• I Agree 2

Interesting. I too assumed columnals, but the irregular shapes to them seem more squishy (palaeontological terminology, obviously). My first thoughts were some form of isopod, but that's definitely a shot in the dark. @Kane, I'm not seeing bryozoa, could you please tell me where you're coming from? I'm not trying to be accusatory, just a genuine question, as I am not too well versed in bryozoans!

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

48 minutes ago, IsaacTheFossilMan said:

Interesting. I too assumed columnals, but the irregular shapes to them seem more squishy (palaeontological terminology, obviously). My first thoughts were some form of isopod, but that's definitely a shot in the dark. @Kane, I'm not seeing bryozoa, could you please tell me where you're coming from? I'm not trying to be accusatory, just a genuine question, as I am not too well versed in bryozoans!

The apparent presence of zooecia.

Also, no Isopoda in the Devonian. 

11 hours ago, Kane said:

The apparent presence of zooecia.

Also, no Isopoda in the Devonian. 

I see, thanks.

For some reason I didn't register the age of these... :rolleyes:

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.