Need some help in Texas

Zenmaster6

Howdy everyone.

I have found some great resources on here for finding cretaceous fossils here in Texas. 

I also fiddled around the coast and found a turtle scute and some shark teeth. 

I'm having a really hard time finding any information of places that are open to the public, or for that matter any spots in Texas open to the public (as 97.8% of the state is privately owned) 

If any Texans read this and wanna help a fellow fossiler out, please point me towards some good spots. I live in Corpus Christi (2 1/2 hours from San Antonio or 7+ hours to Dallas so please nothing too far North lol) 

I'm excited to find all kinds of fossils. Clams get me Jumping so don't worry about finding the full mammoth. 

So far I know about Whiskey Bridge, San Antonio road cuts and Galveston beach finds. Anyone know anything else?

• I found this Informative 1

One of the best things to do is to join some of the Paleontology societies! We are doing our meetings via Zoom these days, so you can participate even if you don't live in the big cities. Both the Dallas and Austin societies go on regular field trips (monthly) and so you will be introduced to some great new spots. (I am one of the field trip coordinators for the Paleontological Society of Austin, so I can attest to how awesome it is....hahahahh) Here is the link to our website if you care to join! https://www.austinpaleo.org/

• I found this Informative 2

31 minutes ago, JamieLynn said:

One of the best things to do is to join some of the Paleontology societies! We are doing our meetings via Zoom these days, so you can participate even if you don't live in the big cities. Both the Dallas and Austin societies go on regular field trips (monthly) and so you will be introduced to some great new spots. (I am one of the field trip coordinators for the Paleontological Society of Austin, so I can attest to how awesome it is....hahahahh) Here is the link to our website if you care to join! https://www.austinpaleo.org/

thank you for the link. I looked at some of the areas available on there and the closest to me was in Austin and Houston. 

I was hoping for something a bit closer. Maybe in the 2 hour drive range and less.

But I do seriously appreciate the invitation to your group. it looks amazing :)

2 hours ago, Zenmaster6 said:

any spots in Texas open to the public

There's always the waco shale pit, however waco is quite far from where you're camped. It should also be noted that there is a two specimen collection limit. The Cretaceous teeth, echinoids, and fish verts that can be found though are well preserved, as well as a plethora of pyratized ammonites that were likely subject to "Lagoon Dwarfism", making them very unique fossils.

• I found this Informative 1

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

2 hours ago, Zenmaster6 said:

If any Texans read this and wanna help a fellow fossiler out, please point me towards some good spots. 

John, please keep in mind, it would be unwise for anyone to post "good spots" on a public forum for many legitimate reasons.  That said, do some searches on TFF about your local area, and pour over geologic maps of the regions close to you.  You may be surprised at what can be found nearby.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

1 minute ago, JohnJ said:

John, please keep in mind, it would be unwise for anyone to post "good spots" on a public forum for many legitimate reasons.  That said, do some searches on TFF about your local area, and pour over geologic maps of the regions close to you.  You may be surprised at what can be found nearby.

Absolutely. I've been hounding Steve71's posts and think I may have found a few of the areas he has been talking about ;)

• I Agree 1