Mainefossils

Fossil forum, 

Good morning. I recently found an interesting fossil invertebrate. It was found at the Leighton formation, Maine. I was thinking possible coral, but the segments on it were perplexing. Trilobite didn't seem to fit because of the size and the shape of the segments. Any help would be appreciated.  Here are some pictures of it (the internal mold is on the left, external on the right):

458928457_unknowninvert3.thumb.jpg.e5c13ea099e0abd00e04b56d3c784b01.jpg     230853725_unknowninvert2.thumb.jpg.67243d39f67428dbfc63894da91621b9.jpg

1502063204_unknowninvert.thumb.jpg.d4c7337ab998fe27a5b6e38d820d432d.jpg

The more I learn, the more I find that I know nothing. 

Regards, 

Asher 

2 hours ago, LabRatKing said:

Looks like a crushed crinoid columnal to me given there is some cross sections near it.

Agreed.

I refuse to give up my childish wonder at the world.

Thanks for your suggestions. I have thought that they could be crinoids, but I had a couple of questions. First, I found a second one that is practically identical in shape and form, and if the shape is due to compression, what are the chances that another would compress in the same fashion? Secondly, the upper left picture is an internal mold. In crinoids, the examples I've seen of the internal mold appear to be a simple cylinder, because of the stem lumen - is this segmented internal mold also typical of crinoids? Thanks again!

Regards, 

Asher 

To me, it looks more like an orthocone cephalopod. 

Does the width narrow down as it comes up from the rock?

• I Agree 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It is a little odd, but I am inclined to agree with Tim that it is a partially flattened nautiloid.  It is an internal/external mold, and a crinoid stem would not have had such a large interior to be filled with matrix.

Don

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

To me, it looks more like an orthocone cephalopod. 

Does the width narrow down as it comes up from the rock?

Yes, it does narrow. Thanks!

1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

It is a little odd, but I am inclined to agree with Tim that it is a partially flattened nautiloid.  It is an internal/external mold, and a crinoid stem would not have had such a large interior to be filled with matrix.

Don

Thanks for the information!

Regards, 

Asher 

Does anyone know a good resource for Maine orthocene nautiloids? Or a way I can identify it?

Regards, 

Asher