Got a big trilobite as a gift- what kind is it? Is it a fake, or real?

jacquibuddha

Hello!  First time posting so I'm sorry if the formatting is wrong...anyways, I recieved this big trilobite as a gift from a shop here in Michigan.  I'm afraid I don't have any other information, other than it was what I think is cheap for a fossil?  Anyways, here's a few pics of this sucker.  Thanks!!! 

IMG-2738.jpeg

IMG-2739.jpeg

IMG-2737.jpeg

IMG-2736.jpeg

This is a Cambropallas telesto from Morocco -- or at least portions of it are. These are commonly composites. Almost all of the cephalon, a good portion of the thorax, and the pygidial area is a fabrication usually made out of some form of clay or plaster.

• I Agree 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

4 minutes ago, Kane said:

This is a Cambropallas telesto from Morocco -- or at least portions of it are. These are commonly composites. Almost all of the cephalon, a good portion of the thorax, and the pygidial area is a fabrication usually made out of some form of clay.

Awww really?  That's too bad.  I'm kind of new to the fossil world- how can you tell the difference between a fake and an authentic fossil?  Thanks!  

One means is to study examples of authentic trilobites in the literature and compare the morphological features. It may also come down to texture (for example, those cast in resin will show tiny air bubbles; those that are made of plaster and painted, etc.).

There are certain popular species of trilobites that are commonly faked or heavily restored.

This article is quite helpful: https://timevaultgallery.com/fake-trilobites-how-to-identify/

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

You have an authentic fossil there but, it has been restored. I've seen a lot worse.

• I found this Informative 1