Potomac fossils( need help with a few)

Northern Neck

Got out to look on the Potomac yesterday and even with the wind and cold temps still had a decent haul. Tons of sand shark teeth.  Just posting a pic of the biggest. But had a few other finds that Id like verification on.

What type of shark is the second tooth photo?

Im assuming the 3rd photo is croc teeth?

Is this a claw? It's razor sharp! 

No idea what the last 2 pics are so any help would be great. Can't wait for warmer temps since my hands wanted to freeze. Hope everyone has a good spring. 

IMG_20210315_154902.jpg

IMG_20210315_155300.jpg

IMG_20210315_154828.jpg

IMG_20210315_154757.jpg

IMG_20210315_155657.jpg

IMG_20210315_155642.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

The shark tooth is Cretalamna appendiculata (a mackerel shark).

I think the “croc teeth” are actually fish teeth (the two smaller ones on the left) and some pieces of shark teeth roots. It’s possible the ones I’m calling fish teeth are broken off shark teeth root lobes as well.

The claw, however, looks like a croc tooth with its root, and in great condition—that’s a nice find!

I’m not sure on the last one.

In your top photo, it looks like you found a decent ray crushing plate as well—the black fossil second from the top in the middle.

2 minutes ago, bthemoose said:

The shark tooth is Cretalamna appendiculata (a mackerel shark).

I think the “croc teeth” are actually fish teeth (the two smaller ones on the left) and some pieces of shark teeth roots.

The claw, however, looks like a croc tooth with its root, and in great condition—that’s a nice find!

I’m not sure on the last one.

In your top photo, it looks like you found a decent ray crushing plate as well—the black fossil second from the top in the middle.

I'm a idiot on the gator teeth. Just looked and flipped them like the top of a tooth root and sure enough you can tell it's a busted shark tooth with just the side top roots.

I've found a sperm whale tooth supposedly there also.  Attaching a pic but not 100% if that's correct either.  Thank you for the help! The ray plate was pretty neat also.  

16158393960001019136715399373671.jpg

That’s an interesting looking one. If this is from the Aquia Formation (Douglas Point/Purse State Park) then it’s too old (Paleocene) for whales, which didn’t evolve until later. I’ve never found a croc tooth that looks like that, but it could be another rooted one. Or maybe it’s something even more interesting. You may need to post clearer photos from multiple angles and the size for an ID from one of the forum experts.

#2 = mackerel shark tooth 

#3 = left two, mackerel fish teeth

Right two, shark teeth fragments 

#4 = rooted croc tooth (beautiful)

Searcher 78 Just curious what diagnostics make these mackerel fish as opposed to croc? I’ve not heard of them from the Aquia before, but I have lots to learn... 

Anyone know for sure if the second bigger one is a rooted croc tooth also? Both from same place just year apart.  It's alot bigger than the first one 

7 hours ago, cck said:

Searcher 78 Just curious what diagnostics make these mackerel fish as opposed to croc? I’ve not heard of them from the Aquia before, but I have lots to learn... 

a member linked a paper of the area last year. It shows the mackerel fish teeth. I have hundreds of them. I find them every trip.

7 hours ago, Northern Neck said:

Anyone know for sure if the second bigger one is a rooted croc tooth also? Both from same place just year apart.  It's alot bigger than the first one 

I agree, the second one looks like a worn, rooted croc tooth. I have only found two rooted croc teeth there. The rest, without roots.

• I found this Informative 1