Stabilizing Indonesian Matrix

BellamyBlake

Hi, 

I have an Indonesian Meg on matrix. I didn't expect the matrix to be so soft. It's chipping. Is there any way to stabilize it? I was thinking coating it in an Elmers and water mix. 

paraloid b-72 and acetone would be a better solution i think :) 

• I found this Informative 1

2 minutes ago, will stevenson said:

paraloid b-72 and acetone would be a better solution i think :) 

Oh boy that's a little harder to get here in Canada I think haha. I was looking into it when I first started collecting and I couldn't find it. I'll look again, thank you. If it's hard to get, is there another potential fix? 

1 minute ago, BellamyBlake said:

Oh boy that's a little harder to get here in Canada I think haha. I was looking into it when I first started collecting and I couldn't find it. I'll look again, thank you. If it's hard to get, is there another potential fix? 

i would just be worried that the water might make the matrix crumble, anyway, elmers glue can yellow if im correct so it might be worthwhile sourcing some :) 

I agree with Will Stevenson. Paraloid in Canada can be had here (and possibly other places). https://www.carrmclean.ca/paraloid-b-72-adhesive.html

It's a bit pricey but if you want to go straight Canadian and skip worrying about inflated shipping costs I'd take a look. The good news is 1 lb of the stuff goes a loooong way. It's so versatile anyway it is good to have extra on hand.

• I Agree 1

2 hours ago, will stevenson said:

i would just be worried that the water might make the matrix crumble, anyway, elmers glue can yellow if im correct so it might be worthwhile sourcing some :) 

1 hour ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

I agree with Will Stevenson. Paraloid in Canada can be had here (and possibly other places). https://www.carrmclean.ca/paraloid-b-72-adhesive.html

It's a bit pricey but if you want to go straight Canadian and skip worrying about inflated shipping costs I'd take a look. The good news is 1 lb of the stuff goes a loooong way. It's so versatile anyway it is good to have extra on hand.

Thank you both! I'll leave it to the folks who are more experienced and take you guys up. I just bought some. I'm assuming I'll need pure acetone for this, and that'll be via Home Depot tomorrow.

Is there anything else I need to know aside from following the instructions on the B72?

42 minutes ago, BellamyBlake said:

I'm assuming I'll need pure acetone for this, and that'll be via Home Depot tomorrow.

There are other solvents you can use like toluene and alcohols but acetone tends to be cheapest and easiest. I have heard of some people using ethanol or an ethanol/acetone mixture to tone down the light gloss that comes with the paraloid if the gloss bothers you.

59 minutes ago, BellamyBlake said:

Is there anything else I need to know aside from following the instructions on the B72?

Not really. Just follow the ratio instructions. I I just eyeball the amount myself, it is easy to adjust. For best results try soaking the matrix until the bubbles stops. If you just wanted to apply around the meg tooth and not get any on the tooth you can brush it on repeatedly too. This also works best for really soft matrix that can't stand up to being soaked for even a short time. The Paraloid solution can be saved in glass canning jars although you should make sure the seals on the lids aren't rubber as the acetone will corrode this.

14 hours ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

There are other solvents you can use like toluene and alcohols but acetone tends to be cheapest and easiest. I have heard of some people using ethanol or an ethanol/acetone mixture to tone down the light gloss that comes with the paraloid if the gloss bothers you.

Not really. Just follow the ratio instructions. I I just eyeball the amount myself, it is easy to adjust. For best results try soaking the matrix until the bubbles stops. If you just wanted to apply around the meg tooth and not get any on the tooth you can brush it on repeatedly too. This also works best for really soft matrix that can't stand up to being soaked for even a short time. The Paraloid solution can be saved in glass canning jars although you should make sure the seals on the lids aren't rubber as the acetone will corrode this.

Thank you. I watched some vids on Paraloid and am surprised by how versatile it is. I don't mind the light gloss. I'll take you up on the suggestion and brush it on the matrix as opposed to soaking it. I appreciate the advice!