Asking about Alberta “selling” laws

Dinosaur mom

New member. I did post in an old question too. 

I’ve been legally collecting surface finds from an area where I know others have collected too. I mostly find small fragments and want to see if anyone else has fragments from the area they don’t want so I can take them to the small schools near me and show to the kids and out of curiosity see if any fit with what I have. 

I want to note I know the laws about collecting and have met up with some folks from U of A when I’ve found anything for them.  It’s just junk stuff I’m wanting. Like to show kids what they are more likely to find. 

Anyhow given as we cannot sell, how can I try to acquire from others similar fossils?  Can I trade?  

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

We do have a member sales subforum, and a member trade subforum, here. Those are delayed permissions once a new member accumulates a substantive number of posts. With time spent here, it doesn't take very long to open those options up, at which point you would be able to make your requests there. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

It's not legal to buy or sell fossils collected in Alberta unless you get special dispensation from the province. You can buy and sell fossil collected in equivalent-aged rocks from the US (Judith River, Hell Creek, etc). The legality of surface-collecting fossils in Alberta for personal use is a grey area, but sale, trade, or purchase are all strictly prohibited and there is absolutely no grey area in the current laws.

• I found this Informative 2

As jdp said. But if you have non-Alberta material to trade, again that is a delayed permission. Technically, all Alberta fossils are the property of the province and so one would not have the legal means to dispense with that property without a dispensation. For reference, Alberta's Historical Resources Act (downloadable from here: https://www.qp.alberta.ca/570.cfm?frm_isbn=9780779822591&search_by=link)

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer