Fossil prep and dust

Jurassicz1

So i prep with hand tools. Mostly chalk and limestone. But i am worried about the dust coming off the rocks. I spray the rocks with water so dust wont come up. But im not sure if that works. Do i need a mask?

3 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Definitely. 3M makes good ones.

i got this mask will it work? And should i have my Windows open when i prep? Will the dust go out the window? The mask is a kn95 but i dont see any dust coming off the rock when its wet

Screenshot_20210322-104107_Facebook.thumb.jpg.729215192c11490714ec7eba0ca7c9ff.jpg

3 hours ago, caterpillar said:

Dust is never good for breathing. If you don't have a ventilation system, it is better to wear a mask

i got this mask will it work? And should i have my Windows open when i prep? Will the dust go out the window? The mask is a kn95 but i dont see any dust coming off the rock when its wet

Screenshot_20210322-104107_Facebook.thumb.jpg.caffee97a2d94db61071194876b2a8f6.jpg

37 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

That mask looks ok. Opening the window would certainly help.

Alright thanks for responding! :thumbsu:

4 hours ago, Jurassicz said:

Do i need a mask?

Absolutely.

The mask you show will work very well. If the dust is fine (e.g. chalk) try a fan behind you facing the open window; or better yet, just prep outside when the weather permits.  

Edited by snolly50

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Your best bet is a half face type respirator, such as a 3m 7500 with p100 cartridges. Water can be an effective method for dust control, but the resulting slurry may make it difficult to see fine detail in your prep.

I definitely recommend you wear a mask. Personally I prefer the 3m masks myself. Here’s me prepping equipment. You can see the mask I use in the upper left corner.

EBBFA9B9-713E-4ACB-BC6D-B0C001C4A0D8.jpeg