Early to mid Devonian pygidium ID

ScottBlooded

Finally got back out to my site (Needmore formation outside of Winchester VA, early to mid Devonian) for the first time this year, very good feeling. Found, among other things, these 3 partial pygidium imprints. Two appear to be the same species, and I’ve found several other partials like these out here before. I know (or am fairly sure) I’ve seen this species before online but can’t place it. The third specimen I can’t place at all and as far as I’m aware, haven’t found out at this site previously. All specimens are a centimeter and change at most, can provide more precise measurements later if need be.

4E75F6AA-5EB9-4AC0-98E9-B4B4C080D2D4.jpeg

6DDD3D2A-16C2-4A2A-8602-940EA8B333E0.jpeg

FB127642-7E79-48BD-9790-55EE6C907FC7.jpeg

2D2DC410-577F-4000-B846-83524420DF0E.jpeg

To me the first two look like Dalamnitids while the last is similar to other phacopids like Eldredgeops

I am not familiar with the formation, but looking it up there are pictures of E. rana so maybe that's what the last pygidiums is?

Not sure about the species or genus for the first two.

• I Agree 1

Just now, Misha said:

To me the first two look like Dalamnitids while the last is similar to other phacopids like Eldredgeops

I am not familiar with the formation, but looking it up there are pictures of E. rana so maybe that's what the last pygidiums is?

Not sure about the species or genus for the first two.

The dalmanitid call feels like the right ballpark for the first two. I find eldredgeops out at this site constantly though so I’m fairly confident the last one isn’t. The addition of that crimped margin on the lower edge stands out, along with the near vertical direction of the ribbing of the segments. Eldredgeops seem like they stay more horizontal, even when they terminate at the end of the pygidium