bthemoose

I went out to Douglas Point (Paleocene, Aquia Formation) in Maryland yesterday and found a couple of unusual shark teeth. The tooth on the left is about 1.5 cm long and I'm pretty sure is a pathological Striatolamia striata.

The tooth on the right looks a bit like an Otodus obliquus or Cretalamna appendiculata to me. Since it's only 1 cm long, Cretalamna might be the better guess. I'd appreciate any thoughts on the IDs. Thanks!

732547883_Both_forposting.thumb.jpg.e7eb7d5dd92e3f6925db25a8c23e3fd4.jpg

Here are some more views of the sand tiger on the left. The root is both relatively large and very flat. It appears to be chipped in a couple of spots as marked in the top middle photo below. There is a small cusplet on one side but not on the other. This is perhaps the most peculiar-looking tooth I've found.

516563977_SandTiger_forposting.thumb.jpg.667081aeddd384dea64d3bdae5292c89.jpg

And here are more views of the "Otodus/Cretalamna". The blade is a bit wavy and might perhaps be pathological too.

1621080055_Otodus_forposting.thumb.jpg.15f19b8637d8bdce4923ead629396533.jpg

Edited by bthemoose
  • Enjoyed 1

The second tooth is almost certainly an otodus based on the pronounced chevron or bourlette. It's a good one!

And I agree with your assessment that the first is striatolamina but not sure if it is pathological.

• Thank You 1

8 minutes ago, fossilcrazee said:

The second tooth is almost certainly an otodus based on the pronounced chevron or bourlette. It's a good one!

And I agree with your assessment that the first is striatolamina but not sure if it is pathological.

Thanks! If it is an Otodus--and that's what it looks like to me too, more so than Cretalamna, though it's of course a line drawing exercise between the two--it's by far the smallest one I've found. From the shape it doesn't look like a posterior tooth, so I would guess must have come from a fairly young shark.

The Striatolamia striata tooth is unusual, and I think must either be pathological or a rare tooth position. At this point, I've found thousands of them from the Aquia (the most abundant fossil shark species from a very productive formation), and this is the only one I've seen with a root shaped like this.

44 minutes ago, val horn said:

I always look to see what is found in maryland but don’t have the knowledge to heip

No worries--thanks for taking a look and bumping the thread up.