Pit 11 Essexella

Rockaholic

Possible. Some of mine are indistinctly shaped. Here's what I've ID'ed as Essexella asherae collected at Essex #11 17 July 1976. The hood and oral arms have a whiteish mineral deposit on them. The light blue grid is one inch.

11050_1.jpg

3 hours ago, Caverat said:

Possible. Some of mine are indistinctly shaped. Here's what I've ID'ed as Essexella asherae collected at Essex #11 17 July 1976. The hood and oral arms have a whiteish mineral deposit on them. The light blue grid is one inch.

11050_1.jpg

Yeah it would be nice if my piece had a distinct hood. It was covered in mineral deposits that didn't seem to enhance it's anatomy so I gave it a vinager bath. This is what it looked like before the bath.

PXL_20210316_012250092.jpg

Edited by Rockaholic

3 hours ago, Runner64 said:

Yep that is correct!  Nice find :) 

Thanks. It's nice to get others opinions on these fossils. I find it easy to let my imagination get the better of me when it comes to Mazon Creek fossils.

1 hour ago, Rockaholic said:

Thanks. It's nice to get others opinions on these fossils. I find it easy to let my imagination get the better of me when it comes to Mazon Creek fossils.

Definetly takes time to learn these fossils. If you do lots of collecting, I’d suggest picking up several books on them.

7 hours ago, Runner64 said:

Definetly takes time to learn these fossils. If you do lots of collecting, I’d suggest picking up several books on them.

I have Jacks book on flora. Most of what I've collected in Indiana have been plants. I've been meaning to buy his book on fauna.Any other suggestions?

Edited by Rockaholic