First time fossil hunting. Are these anything? Found in Big Brook Preserve, NJ

Noodleslurp

I just started learning about fossils and fossil hunting. Both of these were found in Big Brook.  I think the larger one might be a deer bone? I'm not sure if the smaller one is even a fossil. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

20210328_191328.jpg

20210328_191332.jpg

20210328_191307.jpg

20210328_191302.jpg

20210328_191230.jpg

20210328_191244.jpg

Nice interior Belemnite cast! It is a really good size example.

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

Welcome to the Forum and congrats on your Big Brook belemnite cast.  It's not all that uncommon to find modern bone when you are fossil hunting in a creek.  You can always hold a flame to the bone - if it burns, smokes and/or gives off a bad odor, that means it is modern.  

I thought maybe someone perceived saw marks on the end. I can't tell looking at a bone to tell if it's modern or Pleistocene. I have a bunch of Pleistocene bone from a spring in Florida that looks like this. fossilcrazee makes a good suggestion which will prove if it has been mineralized. Not all Pleistocene bone is mineralized though either. This being said, Trevor's experience in the brooks would carry weight toward it being modern.

I agree with Trevor 100% on both IDs'. We really can't tell the difference between Pleistocene and modern bone from there at this time unless you can find something diagnostic of a Pleistocene animal. I would add, although the burn test may be very effective in other locations, I don't personally trust it trust it here. With all the iron in these streams, and the debates between Pleistocene and modern that I've seen over the years, best to go on diagnostic features.

• I found this Informative 1