Claw or tooth maybe

Qtip

My kids found this. I’m not sure if it came from my ridge in north central Kentucky, or they found it in the rock in the landscaping of my house located in the same area. We find lots of cool fossils around the property but most are relative to under water plants and animals. This one seemed to be something different. I feel very certain it’s not just a rock , lol.

image.jpg  image.jpg

image.jpg  image.jpg

image.jpg  image.jpg

Nice Rugose coral:) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Beautiful horn coral looks to be of the type that could be cut and polished to show a really nice pattern.

Hello @Qtip! I live in the Central Kentucky area as well. I agree with the others that it is a solitary rugose “horn” coral. The preservation very much looks like what can be found in the landscaping rock sold here as “local river rock”. Almost all the landscaping stores sell the rock in our area and most have 3 sizing options (small, medium, large). I’d be willing to bet you have the medium size. ;) 

Unfortunately, I have yet to figure out how “local” the landscaping rock is or from what “river” it comes from so I can’t give much more info on age or species. Your kids will likely find coral, bryozoans, and brachiopods if they keep looking. :)  

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)