Fossil Xiphactinus?

Creek - Don

I know this isn't my find or my video, but I'm following this guy on the Youtube and he found Interesting fossil fish in North Texas Creek today.   I'm thinking Xiphactinus or Enochodus?  

Video at 20:47 and 27:37 

Edited by Creek - Don

What a great find!  Caught a glimpse of teeth that resembles a piece of Pycnodont jaw I have.  

• I Agree 1

I did not see any teeth.  :headscratch:

Could be any kind of fish - without head, fins or tail, it is very difficult to identify beyond "fish". 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I didn't see any teeth.  I did see some dark objects that could be mistaken for teeth, but actually are vertebrae.  The scales do not suggest Xiphactinus or Enchodus to me.  @Ptychodus04 may be able to suggest  a possible ID.

Don

• I found this Informative 2

Although not able to ID this fish, but still interesting to see soft tissue / scale was preserved like that.    Never seen anything like it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like this guy finally found rest of the fossilized fish with head and teeth at the creek. 

Fossil fish head w/teeth at 21:42 .  I'm curious what kind of fish this is?  

Probably not what I saw, but now that I see the teeth and jaw and scales it looks more mosasaur than fish, but don't think the scales would preserve like that?  Is that by any chance Sulphur creek?  I would love to go there wherever it is!

Edited by Lone Hunter

14 hours ago, Lone Hunter said:

Probably not what I saw, but now that I see the teeth and jaw and scales it looks more mosasaur than fish, but don't think the scales would preserve like that?  Is that by any chance Sulphur creek?  I would love to go there wherever it is!

No,  this guy is at the private land in North Texas.