Need expert advise on Micro Abrasive unit.

FossilizedBob89

Hi,

I am looking to buy a good MicroBlasting unit and need some expert advises. I know the prices of a good unit can go way over 5000$ and want some advises before spending that much. The main fossils I am working on are Trilobites and Echinoderms.

Here is the 3 best units I have looked at so far:

Crystal Mark: Swamblaster MV-2

Comco: Microblaster

Comco: Accuflo

Any Other Quality Micro Blasting Unit suggestion? 

Anyone out there using one of those unit and who can tell me how it goes? 

Thank you to all preparation experts for your time! 

Bobby

I know @Malcolmt uses a Comco (in addition to others) so he would likely be able to tell you a lot more. I use a cheap Paasche, which seems to get the job done. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Bob PM me directly with any specific question. The SwamBlaster EV2 or MV2 are probably one of the most widely used. Just make sure you do not get the L versions as they cannot use the really fine nozzles. If you will be using mainly dolomite and bicarb then the EV units are fine (not carbide lined).

The COMCO MB1000 single tank unit is a great little fossil prep unit. The 2nd tank version is nice but not really necessary (and more to go wrong). The newer Proflow units are a lot more expensive and have to much electronics to go wrong. A working used Mb1000 can be made almost as good as new with a $250 maintenance kit. You should also look at used S.S.White Model K series II. If working they are an excellent unit. Parts are still somewhat available if you are handy, S.S> White basically evolved into a lot of the other units on the market (Penwalt, Jelenko, Swamblaster) and so a lot of the parts are interchangeable.

The powder flow is a bit better on the S.S. White and swamblaster units but the Comco is easier and cheaper to maintain. The pinch tubes on the other units are always needing replacing (every 40 hours or so)

COMCO, Swamblaster or S.S.White are all professional level machines Really a different league than the Vaniman's and the dental units. What is important is the ability to control the powder flow, use low PSI when needed, use small nozzles such as .010 and not be constantly clogging.

Note that with any of these units you will need to keep it maintained. The parts do wear out. All units no matter how professional need dry air..

• I found this Informative 3

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't the same level of abrasive unit as you are inquiring about but I use a Vaniman Mobile Problast with a 0.036" carbide tip. The unit works well with 100 micron sifted VERY dry abrasive. There's only pressure control (no abrasive quantity control) but this has served me well for some really fragile fish preps as well as some really small trilobites. It is less than 1/10th the cost of a really good unit. So, it fit my budget.

I understand that one gets what one pays for so, I'm accepting of the quirks of the unit.

• I found this Informative 1

On 4/16/2021 at 1:29 PM, Ptychodus04 said:

This isn't the same level of abrasive unit as you are inquiring about but I use a Vaniman Mobile Problast with a 0.036" carbide tip. The unit works well with 100 micron sifted VERY dry abrasive. There's only pressure control (no abrasive quantity control) but this has served me well for some really fragile fish preps as well as some really small trilobites. It is less than 1/10th the cost of a really good unit. So, it fit my budget.

I understand that one gets what one pays for so, I'm accepting of the quirks of the unit.

I'll echo Ptychos comments.  They are not as nice as the professional units you listed but for the price they are very, very nice.  The only problem I notice is that the media flow rate can be uneven at times, but its not a problem that makes me not want to use it.  The only change I would make if buying one again today would be to get the instant-off control model.  The standard model bleeds down pressure after you let off the foot control so it can take 5 seconds to stop.  This also is not a big deal, but instant on/off would be nicer.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin