Help with Identification

SilurianMan

Having recently retired, I'm finally going back to try to catalog some of the specimens I've collected over the years, but have so far not been able to identify.  The subject specimen was one collected (to the best of my recollection) back in the 1990's while walking on exposed river bed along the north shore of the St. Lawrence River just south of Quebec City.  The specimen is a little over 30 mm long and weighs 30 grams.  The distinctive features are the rounded end, flap-like feature folded on the end, and circumferential rings.  Below are photos with several views, with the oblique view showing the geometry/features best.   I've been thinking this is some kind of cephalopod.  Does this look familiar to anyone?  Thanks.

SideView2.thumb.jpg.1bbff12e9f6908d64377442297e17bed.jpgObliqueView.thumb.jpg.fdd604f2133873813e1493f81d31e5e5.jpg

SideView1.thumb.jpg.102ad696a66ca33c1efcc6176e11989f.jpg

EndView.thumb.jpg.aec8bf058a48701db132bdfb7bdc33c6.jpg

1 hour ago, SilurianMan said:

I've been thinking this is some kind of cephalopod.

Bingo ! Orthoconic nautiloid.

A tentative identification is that it is a very weathered piece of a nautiloid.  I doubt a more precise ID is possible.

Don

• I Agree 1

I agree with Don. That being said, you may have some luck looking into the fauna of the Neuville Formation, as it is the more likely to be found in that area. If it is a long transport, then one has to consider a few other corresponding strata (and Quebec's stratigraphy can be a bit confusing!). 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer