Shark teeth from Paleocene Aquia Formation at Douglas Point, Potomac River, Maryland

traveltip1

This riker mount displays the best shark teeth that I collected on 3 hunts sifting at Douglas Point beach, Charles County, Maryland. This is the Paleocene Aquia Formation. 

Bottom row contains several Odotus teeth. There are many goblin shark Anomotodon and sand tiger shark Carcharias. Also appears to be one pygmy white shark Paleocarcharodon  in lower left corner. 

20210407_104746.jpg

Edited by traveltip1
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 4

• traveltip1 changed the title to Shark teeth from Paleocene Aquia Formation at Douglas Point, Potomac River, Maryland

On the bottom left there seems to be a bull shark tooth also, which is strange because they weren’t around at that time. It’s to the left of the paleo charcarodon. Nice finds!

Nice! The Palaeocarcharodon is an especially great find.

The Carcharhinus sp. tooth @Fossil_teenager points out is presumably either an accidental drop or the result of a parent seeding the beach with out-of-place shark teeth for their kid (which of course shouldn’t be necessary in such a productive area).

Nice display!

Thanks for posting it. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

2 hours ago, traveltip1 said:

This riker mount displays the best shark teeth that I collected on 3 hunts sifting at Douglas Point beach, Charles County, Maryland. This is the Paleocene Aquia Formation. 

Bottom row contains several Odotus teeth. There are many goblin shark Anomotodon and sand tiger shark Carcharias. Also appears to be one pygmy white shark Paleocarcharodon  in lower left corner. 

20210407_104746.jpg

Great case!! Love those Palaeocarcharodon’s & Otodus’! 

Wow--that's a great collection!  I love the otodus and especially the pygmy white shark tooth.  Just goes to show how uncommon they are!

BTW, do you, by chance ride down to the beach on a motorbike (or similar).  My daughter and I ran into a screener there a few weeks back who rode his gear in. (Sure beats carrying it all!) Just wondering.

Congratulations. Your display reminds me of the sheer abundance of Striatolamia striata teeth one encounters in the Aquia at Douglas Point. IMPRESSIVE! At least a couple of the Otodus teeth look fairly perfect! Have to get back there sometime. I have enjoyed my time wading in the Potomac. 

Nice work. Those places use to have little to know traffic. Now it's 20-50 people there.  Can't even find a parking spot anyone.  I've started to stop going there.  Nice work again btw