emartell

Wondering what type of tooth this is. Found on Manasota Key beach, Venice, Florida - Peace River formation. Ideas?

Thanks!

20210407_121908.jpg

20210407_121915.jpg

20210407_121930.jpg

20210407_121934.jpg

20210407_121944.jpg

5 minutes ago, Familyroadtrip said:

Sorry, but I don’t believe this is a tooth :unsure:

Any suggestions, then?

Just now, emartell said:

Any suggestions, then?

This is a small, banded chert or jasper pebble.

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

7 minutes ago, emartell said:

Any suggestions, then?

What he said lol.

5 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

This is a small, banded chert or jasper pebble.

Thanks for your idea. I'll take it as a possible, however, this piece does not appear to me to be a naturally occuring bit of mineral.

28 minutes ago, emartell said:

Thanks for your idea. I'll take it as a possible, however, this piece does not appear to me to be a naturally occuring bit of mineral.

Fossil teeth (usually) have enamel. If the enamel is missing, it has a totally different texture (like ivory/bone). What you have is a piece of chert.  While chert can have a somewhat organic flowing shape, it is a naturally occurring mineral. 

Edited by GeschWhat
reword
  • I Agree 2

38 minutes ago, emartell said:

Why not? This one is & it sort of looks like an alien blob out to eat everyone.

1.JPG

3.JPG

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

10 minutes ago, GeschWhat said:

Fossil teeth (usually) have enamel. If the enamel is missing, it has a totally different texture (like ivory/bone). What you have is a piece of chert.  While chert can have a somewhat organic flowing shape, it is a naturally occurring mineral. 

Thank you. I'm familiar with chert having minored in geology. The Peace River formation contains chert, so that is a possibility. It does appear to be chert in color and texture, hardness is about right, also. I'm not very comfortable with that idea based on the rounded symmetry of the piece, but Daves64 photo lends credence to the naturally occuring idea. I guess I'll set it aside as an interesting sample. Thanks, all!

38 minutes ago, emartell said:

lends credence to the naturally occuring idea. I guess I'll set it aside as an interesting sample. Thanks, all!

Welcome !

I would also like to jump in and say that we get fossils from the Peace River almost on a daily basis here, and there are quite a few experts and expert amateurs commenting here and plying the forum that can spot an eroded Peace River tooth/fossil from 50ft, in a dark picture, that is blurry.  Apologies for the hyperbole but it is not far off.

They will not steer you wrong and they will admit when they are stumped. 

Cheers,

Brett

• Enjoyed 2