Big Brook NJ Fossil ID Please Vertebrae?

Anna Marie

I dont know what you have.  The conversation has convinced me both ways.  I do think that sometimes the detailed photos obscure the overall shape and that is also important making me lean towards mosasaur.  

With my fossils some go on display, some go into boxes in my cabinet, and some go into storage in the garage, and sometimes I re sort my fossils and some go into the rock garden. The first mosasaur vertebrae I found was mostly a lump of bone;  that lump went into my display cabinet , lump or not I finally had found a mosasaur fossil. I have found better overtime and you will too.  I envy your access to Big Brook. 

• I found this Informative 1

11 hours ago, val horn said:

I dont know what you have.  The conversation has convinced me both ways.  I do think that sometimes the detailed photos obscure the overall shape and that is also important making me lean towards mosasaur.  

With my fossils some go on display, some go into boxes in my cabinet, and some go into storage in the garage, and sometimes I re sort my fossils and some go into the rock garden. The first mosasaur vertebrae I found was mostly a lump of bone;  that lump went into my display cabinet , lump or not I finally had found a mosasaur fossil. I have found better overtime and you will too.  I envy your access to Big Brook. 

Thanks for the info! It's an hour and a half drive so not toooo bad lol. You're in that postion though it looks like where it might be a longer drive. I hate when they are that distance! Just enough to tease you! 

1 hour ago, Plax said:

don't throw it away until someone knowledgeable looks at it in hand.

Oh I'm not! lol

Just now, Anna Marie said:

Thanks for the info! It's an hour and a half drive so not toooo bad lol. You're in that postion though it looks like where it might be a longer drive. I hate when they are that distance! Just enough to tease you! 

One and a half hours drive sounds really close-by for a fossiling site to me! Currently my closest one is about an hour away, and that already sounds like unimaginably close compared to the options I had in living in the Netherlands as a kid! :o

• Enjoyed 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

3 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

One and a half hours drive sounds really close-by for a fossiling site to me! Currently my closest one is about an hour away, and that already sounds like unimaginably close compared to the options I had in living in the Netherlands as a kid! :o

Yeah but you get to live in beautiful Europe!! Hope all is well there!  About 35 minutes to closest grocery store here so yeah not to bad. lol

• Enjoyed 1

4 hours ago, Anna Marie said:

Yeah but you get to live in beautiful Europe!! Hope all is well there!  About 35 minutes to closest grocery store here so yeah not to bad. lol

You must be way up there or that's your walking time to the store!

• Enjoyed 1