Please help with ID

PODIGGER

Picked this up last week in the Peace River, FL. When I took it out of the screen I gave it a quick look and thought it might be a ray barb (was distracted by a nice dolphin periotic in the same tray) and stuffed it in my pouch.  After getting home and taking another look I saw enamel and what I take for an angled bite surface.  I have looked through my reference materials and searched on line but have yet to come up with a match.  I am thinking land mammal but have not ruled out some type of cetacean.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

thumbnail.jpeg.8c399e9b95e9fa7b1556c6f634fdba94.jpeg  thumbnail-1.jpeg.48a5f38390bd0de1ce90d5546a64524e.jpeg

thumbnail-2.jpeg.feaabf59ceb113953fc7b6a2381a4fc9.jpeg   thumbnail-3.jpeg.434902b4c95eacdc254875ed5f84f048.jpeg   thumbnail-4.jpeg.30c66e7b7b9b2e38da2e20d4abc7afb7.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, PODIGGER said:

I am thinking land mammal but have not ruled out some type of cetacean.

My first impression was a camel incisor .. (but the typical size is all wrong) they can have some crazy shapes. @Shellseeker do you have any experience with incisors ?

Cheers,

Brett

Image Credit: Paleo Enterprises and Prehistoric Florida

f2201c.thumb.jpg.8a553d06424ce006efd4d5cf57a597aa.jpgColorful-Camel-Incisor-Tooth-Florida-Fossils-Teeth-Jaw.jpg.a15137590eec0d7e3f6d5bafa9cbe9eb.jpgf2201a.thumb.jpg.49d45fcf287755caa91a4287f5a2e795.jpg

Cheers,

Brett

Edited by Brett Breakin' Rocks

3 hours ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

My first impression was a camel incisor .. (but the typical size is all wrong) they can have some crazy shapes. @Shellseeker do you have any experience with incisors ?

Cheers,

Brett

The photos that encourage me to agree with Camel/Llama incisor are the 2nd and 3rd.  It have thin enamel which is not so true of cetacean.  The shape in photo #2 is almost exact to the one in my hand, except mine is one of the left from center incisors.  I believe that yours would be right of center...

Not enough to be positive, but Camel/llama incisor is the most likely identification...

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Here's my Hemiachenia macrocephala lower incisor from March of 2019. Took a group of Scubanauts (teens and pre-teens) from Tampa out to experience fossil hunting on the Peace. They got lots of shark teeth (and a few nice megs). I spent most of my time making sure they were having fun and answering questions. Took a few minutes to sift a few screens for myself and this was one of two fossils I kept that day (the other was a small shark vert the size of an aspirin). :)

Cheers.

-Ken

P3311169.jpgP3311168.jpgP3311166.jpgP3311165.jpg

3 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

Here are some incisors:

Harry,

A very large % of blue teeth that I find are Camel/Llama..  Any correlation with your finds of blue teeth? I also have a blue Camel/Llama incisor..

09Apr20th2015PalaeolamaMirifica.thumb.jpg.0fc7f4e24498e5e43a1644727b46e38c.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Brett, Jack, Ken and Harry - Thank you all for your responses.  I am confident to call this a camel incisor based on the information and pictures you have provided.

Jim W.