Find of the day yesterday!

nevadakat

Wanted to share this hoof I found yesterday. Not entirely sure which exact species this is but is likely neohipparion based upon the literature.

C553C922-E54A-4C6C-951A-A60DFB169D1A.jpeg

994D4AAD-5936-43EF-AA90-58A2F155EFAE.jpeg

13444491-CCB6-48E6-BD3C-FA9CA24AE494.jpeg

• Enjoyed 8

1 hour ago, nevadakat said:

Wanted to share this hoof I found yesterday. Not entirely sure which exact species this is but is likely neohipparion based upon the literature.

Fantastic find in really high quality... I love small horse material. :SlapHands:

Just curiosity .  Can you provide size measurements?

• I Agree 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Excellent find!!!! Why don't you enter it in the Fossil Of The Month contest. 

Mike

• I Agree 1

8 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Fantastic find in really high quality... I love small horse material. :SlapHands:

Just curiosity .  Can you provide size measurements?

Here's some measurements. At it's highest point, it measured about 3.5 cm. Very surprised with the condition I managed to find it in!

IMG_6264.jpg

IMG_6265.jpg

6 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Excellent find!!!! Why don't you enter it in the Fossil Of The Month contest. 

Mike

Thank you!! I am quite new to this forum - how can I go about doing so?

49 minutes ago, nevadakat said:

Thank you!! I am quite new to this forum - how can I go about doing so?

Entry into the Find of the Month contest is a delayed permission.  New members will need to engage with several substantive posts to unlock access.  

Entries will be taken through the 30th.  You still have time...keep posting.  ;)  

Tell us more about how you found it.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

13 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Entry into the Find of the Month contest is a delayed permission.  New members will need to engage with several substantive posts to unlock access.  

Entries will be taken through the 30th.  You still have time...keep posting.  ;)  

Tell us more about how you found it.

I see! Thanks for the info :) My boyfriend definitely does the bulk of the research and we decided to check out this spot a while back because it is only a 45 minute drive away. We have been there probably 5 times now and have walked around the exact hill where I found it several times. This time I just happened to get lucky as I noticed the back of it poking out of the sand! The wind picks up quite a bit through that valley so it is possible that it was recently uncovered, and was very lucky to find it its condition. It’s definitely the most interesting fossil I have found yet and will be posting others from my small collection soon.

• Enjoyed 2