Wyoming and western South Dakota fossils

3eds2w

Hi everyone!

My wife and I are driving to Wyoming and western South Dakota in three weeks.  I’ve been searching the forum for some nice fossil (and mineral) sites, and the number of sites in this area are plentiful and overwhelming!  We are going to hit the Blue Forest and look for petrified wood.  We were also going to hit the pay sites in Kemmerer, WY but they are not open until Memorial Day. 

Does anyone have suggestions for “must hit” public fossil sites?  I can read geologic maps and have access to geology/paleontology journals, so a formation and general area would be great! 

Thank, Pete           

If you are passing through Casper, WY you can find baculites fossils in the Cretaceous Cody Shale along the bike path near Mike Lansing Park.   It is easily accessible from I-25.  

For mineral sites in the Black Hills, look up the Dan Patch Mine and also the Bob Ingersol Mine.  Both are centered around Mount Rushmore in Keystone, SD.   Both are located on Forest Service Land and are easily accessible. The Ingersol Mine is about a 1/2 mile hike uphill.

On 4/23/2021 at 2:14 AM, Gregory Kruse said:

For mineral sites in the Black Hills, look up the Dan Patch Mine and also the Bob Ingersol Mine.  Both are centered around Mount Rushmore in Keystone, SD.   Both are located on Forest Service Land and are easily accessible. The Ingersol Mine is about a 1/2 mile hike uphill.

Thanks, Gregory!

21 hours ago, Houdek said:

I believe the Ingersol Mine (near Keystone SD) is private. 

Thanks!