Reptile skin

GravaT

Hello. 

Writing from Quebec, Canada. 

I was given a small box of trinkets from a friend who passed on. Inside were a few rocks and one of them looks as if there are skin impressions. Tiny but definitely looks skin like. 

Any one have an idea. I’ll try and take more pics later. It’s about a a half inch in diameter. 

Thanks. 

AA72750A-4E1D-4200-BDEF-D9B97AE8D1AD.jpeg

Looks like a bryozoan which is a sea animal. Not sure where in Quebec you are but most of Quebec and Ontario have marine fossils

• I Agree 2

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

An oldie, but goodie, you can read about Memphrémagog fauna here:

Wilson, A.E., et al. Contributions to the Study of the Ordovician of Ontario and Quebec. Canadian Geological Survey Memoir LINK

The bonus here is that one of the lead authors was a true trailblazer. Alice Wilson was among the first female credentialed geologists in Canada. :dinothumb:

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Thanks. That looks interesting. I've read that Lac Memphremagog is rich in fossils but hardly any public land left around that lake now to hunt.

26 minutes ago, GravaT said:

Thanks. That looks interesting. I've read that Lac Memphremagog is rich in fossils but hardly any public land left around that lake now to hunt.

Sadly that is the way with most sites these days. :( We generally have to work twice as hard for half the haul. Still, you're in a fantastic province for collecting with plenty of opportunities. It is no wonder some of us Ontarians are sneaking over to crack rock there these days! :D 

1 hour ago, Kane said:

An oldie, but goodie, you can read about

Memphrémagog fauna here:

Wilson, A.E., et al. Contributions to the Study of the Ordovician of Ontario and Quebec. Canadian Geological Survey Memoir LINK

The bonus here is that one of the lead authors was a true trailblazer. Alice Wilson was among the first female credentialed geologists in Canada. :dinothumb:

Somehow this link is directed to Foerste 1924, a classic in its own right!  Wilson et al. 1936 is at this: LINK 

A couple more:

Clark, T.H. 1936
Silurian Rocks of Lake Memphremagog, Quebec.
The Canadian Field-Naturalist, 50(3):31-33  PDF LINK

Drapeau, G. 1961
Geology of the Lake Memphremagog Syncline.
MSc Thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 70 pp.  PDF LINK

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Forum member @FossilizedBob89 is from the Lake Memphremagog area.  Perhaps he can point you to a site or two.  There are some interesting fossil sites in the area, but I think "rich in fossils" is a bit of an exaggeration from what I have heard.  The rocks are highly folded and faulted and as a result fossil-bearing deposits are very localized.

Don

Oof! My bad! Thanks @piranha. I have the Wilson text on my computer, and the Google search led me astray from the proper link! *shakes fist impotently at GEOSCAN*

2 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Forum member @FossilizedBob89 is from the Lake Memphremagog area.  Perhaps he can point you to a site or two.  There are some interesting fossil sites in the area, but I think "rich in fossils" is a bit of an exaggeration from what I have heard.  The rocks are highly folded and faulted and as a result fossil-bearing deposits are very localized.

Don

Can't believe everything you read on the net ha.

I will try and find my finds. I’m moving in a couple months and my other fossils are packed somewhere.