Post oak creek teeth! Am thinking cretodus, cretolamna, and cretoxyrhina respectively.

Jared C

Hey all,

I'm over the moon to say that my long pursuit of shark teeth was temporarily satiated a few days ago, with a trip to post oak creek that my non-fossil hunter girlfriend surprised me with (...i guess i must talk about it a lot, lol) so that we could take our minds off finals.

Unfortunately, we were only able to hunt for an hour and a half, max - the area was supposedly set to be walloped by hail soon after we arrived. This was more than enough time to find probably around 30 teeth though, and a few really stood out. Here are some teeth that I can make an educated guess on, but to be sure, I'll ask you guys

Tooth 1:  My thought is on some Cretodus species, simply due to size - I can't tell, but it seems it's not as wrinkly at the base as I heard it needs to be to be able to easily tell it apart from Cretolamna. (also, the best tooth I've ever found, what a heart breaker missing the tip!)

20210505_224542.thumb.jpg.e0810741819acfbec68097d27923091e.jpg20210505_224530.thumb.jpg.f478eb3343f5ff0c2efcb9f2b9870e75.jpg

Tooth number 2 - my thought is Cretoxyrhina mantelli - I'm most comfortable trying to ID this one, but I'd rather be sure.

20210505_224609.thumb.jpg.7c61ced8edf39ccc824353a9fd567b38.jpg20210505_224629.thumb.jpg.cdedea0af694a1c5eb8800f98c2c4d09.jpg

Tooth number 3: My thoughts are Cretolamna, (maybe appendiculata?). But, for all I know, this may be some Cretodus species as well.

20210505_224646.thumb.jpg.a41f091e902ad58a823f8f1fe75c4428.jpg20210505_224656.thumb.jpg.dcef62baf6a41a583764727afe1b490a.jpg

Now for reference to size, I'm a little lost because the only other place I've ever managed to find teeth before is the waco pit, and there are no large teeth there, supposedly because it was a site of lagoon dwarfism. Because of this I don't really have perspective - so, are these teeth of average size for their species?Large? Small? Thanks for any input.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 2

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

Nice finds - especially for POC. I would think Cretodus for the first tooth as well.

• Thank You 1

I think #1 & #2 are both Cretodus. The 2nd definitely has the correct blade shape, but missing cusps that likely were broken off.

#3 looks more like Cretolamna to me.

• I found this Informative 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Very nice teeth, especially the first - love the color. All three are the coveted Cretodus. #1 has a shelf-like lingual root protuberance, and pointed cusplets. #2 is worn, but has subtle wrinkling at the foot of the crown, and likewise the right root shape. #3 has obvious striations on the lingual face of the crown, the pointed cusplet (though a bit broader), and the right root.

As for size, you didn't provide a scale, but they seem typical. They can get much bigger. 

Edited by ThePhysicist

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

Awesome, thank you for the complete answer! 

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg