Niger theropod tooth ID

DatFossilBoy

Hello all, 

I have acquired this theropod tooth from Irhazer shale, Tiouaren formation, Niger. It’s Jurassic in age. 
The tooth is 4 cm and has distal serrations but the mesial ones are gone. Managed to get a distal count at approx 3 per mm.

I was wondering if maybe @Troodon and others can help with the ID. I’m familiar with the already existing Niger theropod post on here but I didn’t find matches really.

Could it be Afrovenator or Spinostropheus?

Thanks.

E5230121-EC7F-49CC-BFFD-6BFBDD852CED.jpeg

6EC3F898-50AB-40A4-AB03-5C510EB4DB39.jpeg

39B2E7A7-7003-4C85-A949-656F3384C6AB.jpeg

D53CCC20-8A76-4B80-A2CB-F1DBD0AE193C.jpeg

D3778601-A9AB-4E2E-A2F8-D5EAB52E43E8.jpeg

Can you tell how far down the mesial carina extends down the crown.  Size?

6 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Can you tell how far down the mesial carina extends down the crown.  Size?

Here are some pictures. The size of the tooth is 4cm

89A396D0-730D-4E24-8937-3151F1142BC0.jpeg

B7D394B2-B17E-4A95-B3F9-ABA308F8EF2A.jpeg

DCF4DC2C-6341-4861-8675-6448B2433CE5.jpeg

It's difficult to tell from the photos, cannot see any to make a call.   

We can take another approach and see if gets us anywhere

Midline distal serration density over 5 mm wide.   Can you provide me CH, CBW and CBL

Screenshot_20210506-141026_Drive.jpg.5ece375d5ac2d6135d12213d853d42a1.jpg

Do you have a specific locality where this is from? Trying to determine if its from the Irhazer II formation or Tiouraren 

14 hours ago, Troodon said:

Do you have a specific locality where this is from? Trying to determine if its from the Irhazer II formation or Tiouraren 

I’m told it’s from the Irhazer shale, also called Irhazer II formation 

Based on the characteristics presented it appears to be a Meglosaurid tooth but without a clear understanding of the travel of the mesial carina its a tentative call. 

The Irhazer II formation underlies the Tiouraren Fm in the Irhazer Group.  Afrovenator is probably present in that deposit but only described from the younger Tiouraren Fm.

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Based on the characteristics presented it appears to be a Meglosaurid tooth but without a clear understanding of the travel of the mesial carina its a tentative call. 

The Irhazer II formation underlies the Tiouraren Fm in the Irhazer Group.  Afrovenator is probably present in that deposit but only described from the younger Tiouraren Fm.

Thank you for your help. So the Irhazer shale is Jurassic but too old for Afrovenator right? I will try to get better pictures of the mesial side to see if we can see where it stops.

The Tiouraren Fm is the youngest deposits of that Jurassic Group.  Afrovenator has only been described from there but it does not mean it's not in the older deposits of that Group just not seen it published.  My guess is that the fauna is pretty similar.  

11 minutes ago, DatFossilBoy said:

will try to get better pictures of the mesial side to see if we can see where it stops.

Not sure photos will do it.  Try to look at the edge under magnification, a scope is best, and see if you can see the remnants of serrations.  A meglosaurid mesial carina does not extend all the way down the crown and can stop 1/2 down.