Please help me to identify this fossil

LivzKat

Hi there, I would like any help on identifying this potential fossil I found. It was found in West Midlands of England, UK. I don't live near the ocean however this was found amongst a pathway covered in pre-destructed rocks so it may explain the displacement. As you can see, it appears quite mollusc-like and it has tiny bristles on the right hand side, almost saw-toothed at the edge. It also can be seen with a bottom layer with appears on the left hand side of the rock. It is striped and has red speckles at the edge. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm quite inexperienced in this field at the moment. Thanks in advance! 

20210507_151210.jpg  20210507_151250.jpg

20210507_151234.jpg

Looks to be a gyra to me. Try searching for fossils found nearby you! If your lithology is Jurassic, as with lots of the south of England, then perhaps Gryphaea. :)

Edited by IsaacTheFossilMan
  • Thank You 1

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

Its possible it is part of a brachiopod. The shape of the umbo and the surface features remind me of the Productid Antiquatonia, but I am not an expert on UK material.

IMG_5099.thumb.jpg.e56016a94d5e2d0ed5f2175fab903dd1.jpg

IMG_5098.thumb.jpg.027db552b653995439a1e0f917ea7c30.jpg

• I Agree 1

2 hours ago, IsaacTheFossilMan said:

Looks to be a gyra to me. Try searching for fossils found nearby you! If your lithology is Jurassic, as with lots of the south of England, then perhaps Gryphaea. :)

Thanks for the help! I did some research and the similarities are very noticeable! I'm still quite curious about the small bristles along the edge however

26 minutes ago, Crusty_Crab said:

Its possible it is part of a brachiopod. The shape of the umbo and the surface features remind me of the Productid Antiquatonia, but I am not an expert on UK material.

Yes, I think you may be right, after doing a bit of research myself. Thanks for the help! I'll keep looking into it further! :)

Looks pretty brachiopod-ish to me. I'd say definitely productid, something along the lines of Echinoconchus based on the prominent ribbing.

I'd work backwards on this. You say you found it along a pathway covered in pre-destructed rocks. Natural outcrop? Brought in material? What does a geologic map of the area say about the age or formation? I'd try to find a geologic map of the area online to aid your search.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Crusty_Crab said:

That's a better fit, I should've seen that! Nice catch.

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

2 hours ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

Looks pretty brachiopod-ish to me. I'd say definitely productid, something along the lines of Echinoconchus based on the prominent ribbing.

I'd work backwards on this. You say you found it along a pathway covered in pre-destructed rocks. Natural outcrop? Brought in material? What does a geologic map of the area say about the age or formation? I'd try to find a geologic map of the area online to aid your search.

I think you're right about it possibly being echinoconchus! I'm researching a bit about my region currently so I think we're onto something, thanks for the help!