Shellseeker

I have acquired 2 Marine mammal fossils in the last few days. One is a dolphin periotic found in the Peace River Thursday.

@Boesse walked me thru the identification of this find a couple of years backDolphinEarboneMrgTxt.thumb.jpg.23cea3ab3af65af9155959621a96f31d.jpg

Pomatodelphis is an extinct genus of river dolphin from Middle Miocene marine deposits in Alabama, Florida, Brazil, Germany and France.

I thought it was similar to a river dolphin, but when I examined it today,  it is about the same size but otherwise.... not so much

Earbones.JPG.a74596b8ffbb7caa93d7a7de772cb5fa.JPG

Here are a few other angles

Dolphin_earMerge.thumb.jpg.73ba9fc64cbb03c7c843b2459ed84034.jpg

While I have previously found a number of Dolphin periotics in the Peace River, this one seems more complex than the others.

@gigantoraptor has offered some fossils for sale,  including some STH marine mammals.  He had this bulbous rooted whale tooth which I purchased.  I am attracted to them and solicit any comments or identifications from whale tooth enthusiasts.  !!  Right now ,my only guess is Scaldicetus .sp.

STHfossilsGigantoraptor.png.9806dd8061ee6fe07edbaa47233c7072.pngimage.png.d77d3d8bfb377aa329d14c8554573dac.png.29c281adac929de8e9ffc8ecd11ec9c4.png

• I found this Informative 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

OK that first periotic is from an extinct kogiid sperm whale - commonly found at the Lee Creek Mine as well as some localities in Florida including the youngest assemblages in the Bone Valley Fm. We've found them in Pliocene and early Pleistocene strata in South Carolina. Genus is uncertain. Figure from Velez-Juarbe et al. 2016: JVP.

image.png.8e7d7e99de479890e5ec07106574fcf8.png

• I found this Informative 6

1 hour ago, Boesse said:

OK that first periotic is from an extinct kogiid sperm whale - commonly found at the Lee Creek Mine as well as some localities in Florida including the youngest assemblages in the Bone Valley Fm. We've found them in Pliocene and early Pleistocene strata in South Carolina. Genus is uncertain. Figure from Velez-Juarbe et al. 2016: JVP.

:thumbsu::raindance::yay-smiley-1::tiphat:

Thanks Bobby for knowing as much as you do and sharing that expertise so freely.  I could not be more pleased !!!!

• I Agree 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

1 minute ago, Shellseeker said:

Thanks Bobby for knowing as much as you do and sharing that expertise so freely.  I could not be more pleased !!!!

I second that--IN ALL CAPS!!!! ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I Agree 1

3 hours ago, PODIGGER said:

Thanks to Jack @Shellseeker and Bobby @Boesse for this thread.  I have each of these and didn't realize there was a difference in genus until now!

I'm confused.  Bobby addressed only the first periotic, didn't he?  So, what are the two genera (families?) to which you are referring?

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

My take was that Bobby was saying the two periodiotic  pictured were different genera. If not then I  misunderstood his post.

Sorry, I didn't bother with the second one since it looks like Pomatodelphis to me and I think the ID is OK.