BAAMM

Found my first piece of fossilized wood looking to learn a little bit more about it anybody have any information.

IMG_20210508_200154984.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Welcome to the forum. What kind of information were you looking for specifically? Wood is usually very difficult to ID to a specific tree but it is possible to age it using geologic maps. Where was it found? A county is usually sufficient information. Was it found in a natural outcrop?

And can we see more views of it? (end-view in particular), in good lighting

2 hours ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

I actually saw it partially poking out of the ground looking for my golf ball. The wood texture with a rocky shin cought my eye. After digging out and cleaning it up it has a lot of interesting texture also looks like it has a little bit of burn damage from past years counted roughly 30 stunted black rings in the middle and also it has a more hematite look than a rusty iron look

Screenshot_20210508-224720.png

Iv found fossils before iv found some some amazing amethyst crystals and geodes along with hematite crystals and geodes but this is my very first fossilized or petrified wood

7 hours ago, BAAMM said:

Screenshot_20210508-224720.pngIts pretty rare to find this kind of petrified wood in Minnesota/Wisconsin. Usually they are from Cretaceous to ice age.  Other than that, most likely it been transplanted by glaciers due to its high silicon contents which made it more resistant to being broken up by glaciers. 

,That's what I was thinking being in the Midwest what's up shallow ocean then covered by miles of ice and then plowed over duty issues with carbon dating most likely there's no way to get a date on it unless there's some type of DNA still in there which is unlikely depending on how old it is. Every Rock collector/ goe-buff feels the excitement when you catch a good find no matter how big or small 

Thanks for the input everyone

I also recently seen a good friends find. At first glance abuse to be sediment cemented shock glass with with oceanic fossils inside of it what makes me think a shot glass is how it looks in the clarity it's not crystalline and shape anybody have any thoughts on how this could have happened