Getting ready for another fish digging trip.

RJB

Nothing like living in Montana and getting ready for another fish diggin trip.  Where's my snow shovel?  :)  This was yesterday morning.

RB

P5200027.JPG

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 3

And tomorrow it will be 80, lol

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

2 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

What? cm, inch, Fahrenheit?
:D

Franz Bernhard

• I Agree 1

It is cold and raining lightly but steadily here in Casper (elevation 5300 feet).  I imagine it is snowing on the fish quarries (elevation 7000 feet).  

Have fun when you get there.  

Edited by jpc
  • Enjoyed 1

51 minutes ago, RuMert said:

Snow in almost June?:oO:

Was in Kemmerer last June, woke up to the town covered in snow, and it was worse up at the quarry.  I had to call to check conditions and they said dont come, its bad and will take a while to dry out after it all melts.

• Enjoyed 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

I wish I could trust the weather forecast, but I know better. The weather man is calling for highs in the 70-80 range for most of the trip, and bone dry. We'll see.

• Enjoyed 1

5 hours ago, RuMert said:

Snow in almost June?:oO:

Now if weather at your latitude is similar to that in Latvia, don't act so surprised about snow this time of year :P It's only about a week ago that my family in law experienced their first nice day of the year. On the other hand, it might just be this year's crazy weather, as I've been told it has been snowing in the Netherlands still as well until up to a week ago. That's definitely not something that has happened for the past century or so...

• Enjoyed 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

5 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

similar to that in Latvia

You think Latvia is cold?:BigSmile: It's always been a resort.

Yep, snow late in May is very unusual, we had a fairly cold winter but were still surprised at snow on April 27, and it was a joke compared to this

• Enjoyed 1

Here we can have negative Celsius temperature for a few days in the middle of May. Those days are called the Saints of ice. This year that was from the 11th to the 13th of May : Saint Mamert, Saint Servais, Saint Pancrace. My nephew, near Bordeaux, had -5°C the mornings.

Edited by fifbrindacier
  • I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Here we just finished a cold snap: temps dropped into the low 80s F (28-29 C). The locals actually had sweatshirts on!  

13 hours ago, jpc said:

It is cold and raining lightly but steadily here in Casper (elevation 5300 feet).  I imagine it is snowing on the fish quarries (elevation 7000 feet).  

Have fun when you get there.  

I'll be moving (retiring) to your region in  few years.  Bought some land in Lincoln County.  I'll get to see snow again for the first time in 15 years

Edited by hemipristis

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

On 5/21/2021 at 5:59 AM, hadrosauridae said:

I wish.  It snowed all day yesterday and we got about 10 inches of snow now and its supposed to snow a bit more today and its 27 degrees right now.  Im gunna spend some time in the garage today with some rocks and a beer.

RB

8 hours ago, hemipristis said:

I'll be moving (retiring) to your region in  few years.  Bought some land in Lincoln County.  I'll get to see snow again for the first time in 15 years

Are you sure you want to do that....

25 minutes ago, RJB said:

I wish.  It snowed all day yesterday and we got about 10 inches of snow now and its supposed to snow a bit more today and its 27 degrees right now.  Im gunna spend some time in the garage today with some rocks and a beer.

RB

I feel for you , Ron... Swimming quarries in Vermont as a kid. Left all that in my early 20s, headed for a life in Florida and Texas.  Never looked back. I visit once in a while, usually around Christmas. Stay warm!

• Thank You 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

On 5/21/2021 at 5:18 PM, RuMert said:

Snow in almost June?

Have a look at the elevations:

Casper: 5300 feet = 1600 m

Quarry: 7000 feet = 2100 m

We Europeans often forget, how elevated large stretches of land in the US are. At 2100 m, snow is also possible in Europe around the year (for a few hours, at least).

I have made a West US car trip 20 years ago. There were no hairpin bends etc, and we ended up at 10.000 feet - 3000 m somewhere in Utah. We were firstly surprised of the cold, until we recognized the elevation. You can get to 4300 m per car in the US - impossible in Europe.

Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard
  • I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

7 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

I have made a West US car trip 20 years ago. There were no hairpin bends etc, and we ended up at 10.000 feet - 3000 m somewhere in Utah. We were firstly surprised of the cold, until we recognized the elevation. You can get to 4300 m per car in the US - impossible in Europe.

Franz Bernhard

Many years ago I was living in a ski town n Colorado at elevation 9600 feet.  That was the bottom of the valley.  I went to visit a cousin in Switzerland in the Alps.  We got halfway up the mountains before we got their chalet at about 9600 feet.  In colorado, from 9600 feet everything is above you.  In the alps, the top half of the mountains are above you and the bottom half is below you.  The valleys are so much deeper, and the mountains so much (apparently) higher.

• I Agree 1

4 hours ago, jpc said:

In colorado, from 9600 feet everything is above you.  In the alps, the top half of the mountains are above you and the bottom half is below you.  The valleys are so much deeper, and the mountains so much (apparently) higher.

Excactly! This holds true for French, Italian, Swiss and western parts of Austrian Alps. Here in my province (Styria), at the eastern end of the Alps, at 9600 feet nearly everything is already far below you. What do you think, whats the height of this Styrian mountain? The hints are the benched mountain in the foreground and the highway ;):

Mountain.jpg.067e0d630f4401ae6efaf9c999f6bc41.jpg

Franz Bernhard

• Enjoyed 1

This morning I wake up to find another 2 to 3 inches of snow and its 30 degrees.  Supposed to get some rain later today so that should take care of all this white stuff. 

RB

14 hours ago, jpc said:

In colorado, from 9600 feet everything is above you.  In the alps, the top half of the mountains are above you and the bottom half is below you.  The valleys are so much deeper, and the mountains so much (apparently) higher.

Very true, I live east of the mountains (Denver metro) and my elevation is about 6000 feet (1800 meters) which is pretty low around here. The tall mountains are still covered in snow, and will remain that way for most of the year.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)