Please Help Me Identify This Bone Found in Small Stream

MMorgan

I don’t have an answer, but it may help other members if you could narrow down the county or town in Tennessee where you found it in. :)

Also, just a severely uneducated guess but maybe a modern cow. One end seems to have a clean, butcher-like cut.

• I Agree 6

13 minutes ago, thelivingdead531 said:

One end seems to have a clean, butcher-like cut.

You are correct .. that is a modern butcher cut. Not sure which mammal but a cow is probably a good guess given the size. 

Cheers,

Brett

• Thank You 2
  • I Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

You are correct .. that is a modern butcher cut. Not sure which mammal but a cow is probably a good guess given the size. 

Cheers,

Brett

I may have gotten one correct! Hooray for me! :yay-smiley-1:

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 2
  • Thank You 1

The turtle looks interested.

Perhaps it was her luncheon.

Chatting.gif.747f5f6e76e0889afd7c035e3499fde8.gif

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

It seems to me that for this to be a human bone we would need to be seeing a very small live example, or the bone in question would need to be from a very large individual.

Hello MMorgan, and welcome to the forum.

Although it is of course possible to find human bones from different historical and prehistorical times in a river, this one does not seem to be one.

Long Bones of many tetrapodes do lok similar, while in detail your find appears non-human to me. Size has been mentioned, also the cross-section is rather flat.

As the others mentioned, the cut end makes a relatively recent domestic animal the most probable victim. Minerals in soil and water can stain bones dark in astonishingly short times.

Best Regards,

J

• Thank You 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

Others have already mentioned it, but this doesn't look like human one to me either. Having seen and handled some during my studies in archaeology - though I in no case claim this provides me with either expertise or sufficient experience - the bone looks too big and robust to be human. The fact that one side of it is flat is another indication, as human long bones, to the best of my memory, are round to triangle in shape, with flat-backed long bones corresponding most closely to the lower leg and foot bones of grazers. Bovid - and in consideration of the butchery-marks: cow - therefore does not seem like such a bad guess...

• Thank You 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

THANK YOU all for your information. I really appreciate it! I just thought it was very strange and there are civil war artifacts around this area. I can't help but, wonder. Thank you guys!

1 hour ago, MMorgan said:

THANK YOU all for your information. I really appreciate it! I just thought it was very strange and there are civil war artifacts around this area. I can't help but, wonder. Thank you guys!

Well, seeing as the nine is somewhat older, it could still have been used as provisions during the civil war. It's just not a soldier :)

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett