Found this fossil while digging in the Delintment Lake are in Oregon, any help would be great.

Volksburgs

My wife found this fossil while we were digging for ammonites up by Delintment Lake in Oregon.  I believe this area is from the Jurassic period.  Thanks for any help.  I will post other pictures of the ammonites we found.  Also, maybe someone can tell me if there are ammonites under these raised round pieces that we brought home.  Figured I would give it a shot at trying to uncover them. 

Delintment3.jpg

Delintment1.jpg

Delintment2.jpg

Interesting finds. My take on the first item was that it was a infilled burrow of some kind but I'm also wondering if it might be a belemnite phragmacone--that general bullet shape and furrow at the wider end make me curious. Are there any concentric rings (tree ring like) lines visible in the end of the specimen where it narrows or the other end? They have internal structures that are sometimes visible on the ends and when they are broken in half like these examples from Northern California. 

1151628807_CylindroteuthisBerryessa.jpg.2da2a76f8d1a27a247017d44ef8c78e6.jpg

2nd & 3rd items both appear to be concretions....could have ammonites inside. 

Looks like a great place to collect! 

Regards, Chris 

Edited by Plantguy
added comments

Deffinetly concretions.  Plantguy may be onto something with his suggestions. 

RB

19 hours ago, Plantguy said:

Interesting finds. My take on the first item was that it was a infilled burrow of some kind but I'm also wondering if it might be a belemnite phragmacone--that general bullet shape and furrow at the wider end make me curious. Are there any concentric rings (tree ring like) lines visible in the end of the specimen where it narrows or the other end? They have internal structures that are sometimes visible on the ends and when they are broken in half like these examples from Northern California. 

1151628807_CylindroteuthisBerryessa.jpg.2da2a76f8d1a27a247017d44ef8c78e6.jpg

2nd & 3rd items both appear to be concretions....could have ammonites inside. 

Looks like a great place to collect! 

Regards, Chris 

Thanks for the insight!  No real visible lines that I can see.  I wondered if it might be a piece of a crinoid maybe?  Really tough to know.  Thanks

On 5/23/2021 at 8:15 PM, Volksburgs said:

Thanks for the insight!  No real visible lines that I can see.  I wondered if it might be a piece of a crinoid maybe?  Really tough to know.  Thanks

hmmm, might still be a belemnite as the exterior surfaces can be very smooth even though this unknown looks a little rough and irregular but without any additional info/sharp closeups I just cant tell--still havent ruled out that it is a trace/burrow. I'm not thinking crinoid either as a possibility...usually you see some some remnants of the plates/segments in the columns/calyxs/arms although some of those crazy geodized crinoids from the mid-US have some crazy obliterated forms. I also think the association of the ammonites that you say you are finding with belemnites or burrows might be more likely than finding ammonites with crinoids. 

Continued hunting success!

Regards, Chris 

I'm very confident the last photo are belemnites and confirms the formation is jurassic.   

pholad / geoduck steinkern in burrow for the first pic for me. Or maybe a clavagellid like Ascaulocardium if they occur in rocks from this formation.

• I found this Informative 1

11 hours ago, Plax said:

pholad / geoduck steinkern in burrow for the first pic for me. Or maybe a clavagellid like Ascaulocardium if they occur in rocks from this formation.

Sure could be. That apparent vertical line mid fossil may just be a crack but maybe something else and the apparent bunched horizontal lines are also suspicious....

647862419_UnknownOregon.jpg.7813ee6b16764b2d450968fe76653826.jpg

Regards, Chris 

1 hour ago, Plantguy said:

Sure could be. That apparent vertical line mid fossil may just be a crack but maybe something else and the apparent bunched horizontal lines are also suspicious....

647862419_UnknownOregon.jpg.7813ee6b16764b2d450968fe76653826.jpg

Regards, Chris 

Thanks for all the responses everyone!   I will try to take a high res photo with my DSLR camera instead of my phone.

Jurassic (Bathonian and Gallovian) Ammonites in Eastern Oregon and Western Idaho

Ralph W. Imlay

USGS Professional Paper 1142

UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT PRINTING OFFICE, WASHINGTON : 1981

https://pubs.usgs.gov/pp/1142/report.pdf

I'm not an ammonite expert but this pub could help you with possibly identifying your Ammonite finds. Lots of other locations discussed but they make mention of types/ages at your locale. Has ref photos at the end as most prof papers do. Looks like you might be in the Trowbridge Shale.

See Page 11....Parapatoceras, Xeoncephalites were in the basal beds and Lillottia stantoni Imlay considerably above the basal beds...

Regards, Chris