Its fossil Friday! Share your latest fossil picts.

hadrosauridae

Its fossil Friday, so share a pic of your latest fossil acquisition, or prep.

This is my latest prep project, a large Mioplosus from the Green River fm of Wyoming.  Its not 100% finished but getting very close.  Sadly it had already lost 1/2 to 2/3 of the tail before I found it, it has some damage to the rear dorsal fin, and the original break/exposure was through the head so it will take extra work to remove the glue used for an improvised field repair.  I did learn a good lesson and will be bring proper consolidates and glues when I go fishing this year.

1771305787_FFMioplosus.thumb.jpg.2a04c66185c41bf186471222446d6dd8.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

2 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

Its fossil Friday, so share a pic of your latest fossil acquisition, or prep.

This is my latest prep project, a large Mioplosus from the Green River fm of Wyoming.  Its not 100% finished but getting very close.  Sadly it had already lost 1/2 to 2/3 of the tail before I found it, it has some damage to the rear dorsal fin, and the original break/exposure was through the head so it will take extra work to remove the glue used for an improvised field repair.  I did learn a good lesson and will be bring proper consolidates and glues when I go fishing this year.

1771305787_FFMioplosus.thumb.jpg.2a04c66185c41bf186471222446d6dd8.jpg

Beautiful fish and prep. I brought 5% and 20% B-72 solution in 15ml nail polish bottles with me the last time I was at the fish quarries. Nail polish bottles are great because they already have a brush in the cap, which helps with application and are already designed to hold a volatile acetone based solution. I used the 5% solution for consolidation and 20% as an adhesive. It seemed to work fairly well. 

This is a Cryptolithus tessalatus (Green, 1832) cephalon I obtained in a trade with @historianmichael that I prepped this week. This was the first time I've ever worked on material from that locality. I was doing well on the left lateral border, but apparently the right side was too thin and I destroyed part of the right lateral border. I guess that's a learning experience and shows you that not all of us get it right the first time.  

IMG_6458.thumb.JPG.9905d8955f19072f511d1934d75ad856.JPG

IMG_6459.thumb.JPG.b6fa14090de5946da83bb0d68880d88d.JPG

• Enjoyed 4

I keep a roughly 5% solution in nail polish bottles in my prep shack.  I didnt start using those until last year, after I had already been to the fish quarry, but they and bigger ones are definitely going with me this year.  

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

It is well past Fossil Friday but here are a few things I found on a recent trip to the Lance Fm (late Cretceous).  There is small dromaeosaur tooth and a stereophoto of a mysterious little reptile vertebra.  The scale bars are my wife's finger print, and mm for the vert.  (I thought I posted these a few days ago, but they seem to be either somewhere else or I failed to post. )

920854274_littletheropod.jpg.5c8f0ce578788d1b11a97a2bb3107daf.jpg

1093816484_LittleLancevert.jpg.5dd3fe1e94e6d32be8e20b864efc1d52.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

Wow, those are tiny finds!

I actually finished this up a few days ago but here it is again.  This is a ray from Lebanon.  98 million years old.  Here are before and after pics.  Had to do some major repair on cracks and bad rock.

RB

Ray1A.JPG

Ray1B.JPG

• Enjoyed 5

@RJB thats a great fossil, and it reminds of pics of a recently discovered fat-tailed ray found in the Green River fm.  Those shrimps are incredible too!

• Thank You 1

5 hours ago, RJB said:

I actually finished this up a few days ago but here it is again.  This is a ray from Lebanon.  98 million years old.  Here are before and after pics.  Had to do some major repair on cracks and bad rock.

RB

Ray1A.JPG

Ray1B.JPG

Hi RJB,

That is a guitarfish, which is a ray as you said, and I think it's one of the rarer animals from the layer.  It may be the genus, Rhinobatos.  With the shrimp, it's a great association piece.

Jess

• Thank You 1