Cute little wee scute - what is it? Baby Giant Armadillo?

Bone Daddy

Every now and then something weird shows up in my sifter. Look at this cute little guy.

wee-scute-3.thumb.JPG.7e6b6b156a78a4382095a9f368a9dca4.JPG

Hexagonal shape with a faint raised area in the middle. Texture, shape, thickness all seem right for a giant armadillo, but the size is tiny. I've never seen one this small. Can someone confirm or deny this? Could this be from a baby/juvenile? Could it be a baby glyptodont. I'm stumped.

wee-scute-1.JPG

wee-scute-2.JPG

Pachyarmatherium?

• I found this Informative 2

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

8 hours ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Pachyarmatherium?

Sounds like a good candidate. I didn't know these scutes could be this small. I have found several larger ones over the years, but nothing close to this tiny size.

armadillo.jpg

1 hour ago, Bone Daddy said:

Sounds like a good candidate. I didn't know these scutes could be this small. I have found several larger ones over the years, but nothing close to this tiny size.

This was the TFF educational Thread...

There is a scientific paper put out by UF on them.  There are VERY few location they are found and one of those very few locations is upstream of Paynes Creek Park.

• I found this Informative 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I found this a few years back. Each osteoderm was 1 cm in width. At that time, it was called  Dasypus bellus. It looks similar to yours.

DSC_0061-006.JPG.db073729a82cb390067925f2eb8a0892.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Well, I learned something new. I had no inkling that these scutes could be this small. Thanks everyone!