I found what looks to be a whale bone fossil fragment

Travis Duggins

This is my first fossil bone find. It was found near the mussleshell river in Montana. More specifically Roundup MT. It appears to be some sort of a whale bone fossil. I'm not sure? Any suggestions?

1623084939158-1791882412.jpg

1623085091297-171783903.jpg

16230852114771110853686.jpg

4 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

It looks like a very worn section of Baculites, a type of ammonite.

That is so cool!

Al Dente has it. This one displays some anatomy not always so visible as the round inclusion you see is the siphuncle. The Cretaceous marine sequences are well exposed in Montana and this likely comes from the Montana Group.

12 minutes ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

Al Dente has it. This one displays some anatomy not always so visible as the round inclusion you see is the siphuncle. The Cretaceous marine sequences are well exposed in Montana and this likely comes from the Montana Group.

I respectfully disagree, Thomas.  The siphuncle lies on the bottom edge of these things, not in the middle as seen  in cross section.  I think that round thing might be another baculite in cross section.  It is pretty common to find shells within other shells with this sort of material. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

13 minutes ago, jpc said:

I respectfully disagree, Thomas.  The siphuncle lies on the bottom edge of these things, not in the middle as seen  in cross section.  I think that round thing might be another baculite in cross section.  It is pretty common to find shells within other shells with this sort of material. 

Interesting. I've never seen one in the middle like that but I was at a loss as to what else it would be.

On 6/7/2021 at 2:32 PM, jpc said:

Thank you for all your input!