tree fossil/petrified part?

looc

same location, some kilometers away I did also find this stone reminding me of petrified tree stem:

20190919_190133.jpg

20190928_152652.jpg

20190928_152637.jpg

Fine example of a glacial eratic. Somewhere in the path of glacial flow there is a ridge which lies perpendicular to the flow. Plucking and scouring is how the shape almost certainly formed.

Here is an example from a spot in South Dakota. 

If on the off chance you can find the end structure to show it to be more tree like I will need to reconsider.

IMG_3073a.jpg

I'm not an expert but do collect pet wood, I can see the similarities your pointing out but I dont see the structure, grain or color that I would expect. Still could be possible but much clearer close ups esp of the end are needed.

2 hours ago, looc said:

The eyes sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend..

Agreed.

On 6/15/2021 at 6:07 PM, looc said:

treerays.thumb.jpg.1b6b2cc553358f9a390ecfe77e2a281c.jpg tree.jpg treeroot.jpg

Nice specimens! I see the similarities and you almost have me sold that they are petrified wood but I also have seen a number of sedimentary and metamorphic rocks from a distance and in photos that I thought looked like petrified wood from their weathering/apparent layering/folding and fragmentation/veining/fractures/splintering/glacial abrasion that turned out not to be. Are closeups possible? I know nothing about the geology of your area/country and am curious as it looks like an interesting place to examine/collect. Are there known documented petrified wood finds from there or nearby or are any of those examples that youve in the newest collection of photo from the locale? Are you near Oslo? Without giving up the specific location what does the geologic map of Norway say is going on in this locale--age/types of rocks?

Regards, Chris 

• I found this Informative 1

On 6/8/2021 at 7:58 PM, looc said:

same location, some kilometers away I did also find this stone reminding me of petrified tree stem:

20190919_190133.jpg   20190928_152652.jpg   20190928_152637.jpg

An erratic with mullion structure and quartz rods?

ciao

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 2

15 hours ago, Plantguy said:

Nice specimens! I see the similarities and you almost have me sold that they are petrified wood but I also have seen a number of sedimentary and metamorphic rocks from a distance and in photos that I thought looked like petrified wood from their weathering/apparent layering/folding and fragmentation/veining/fractures/splintering/glacial abrasion that turned out not to be. Are closeups possible? I know nothing about the geology of your area/country and am curious as it looks like an interesting place to examine/collect. Are there known documented petrified wood finds from there or nearby or are any of those examples that youve in the newest collection of photo from the locale? Are you near Oslo? Without giving up the specific location what does the geologic map of Norway say is going on in this locale--age/types of rocks?

Regards, Chris 

Thanks for your interest and questions.

"Are there known documented petrified wood finds from there or nearby?"

No, as far as I know there ar nothing in mainland Norway, only a recent discovery of an ancient forest in Svalbard, a cluster of Norwegian islands in the Arctic Ocean.

But I do find them all over the (my) place, of course no one believes me, a lonely wolf in Norway you might say..

Attached a map of Oslo north, that is my location. Bedrock precambrium? And some closeups, as good as they got.

With regards, Looc.

oslonorth.jpg

20210608_164826.jpg

20210608_160418.jpg

20210608_160320.jpg

20210608_160106.jpg

20210608_155719.jpg

20210608_155706.jpg

20210608_155653.jpg

Fossil wood with structure that is not evident upon macroscopic inspection is one angle you might approach it from. Thin sectioning polishing and microscopes are needed.

The idea of it being a close match to proven examples in a verifiable context could work, but it would be complicated.

It's resemblance to what has been suggested would dissuade me from making the effort, but I wish you the best. 

• I Agree 1

Thanks for the additional clear photos and the geology info! 

I agree with Rockwoods assessment above. I now see a couple of features more clearly in both specimens that appear to me to be more like sedimentary features and believe probably once were carbonate type rocks originall--limestone/dolostone? with fine striations that are making me lean away from the petrified wood possibility. Here are some closeups of what I believe are clasts--parts of other rocks/or lens of different material within the generally striated sections. One what appears to have slightly less rounded elongated fragments and the other thicker lens like--maybe siliceous or of a more pure carbonate.

1561332432_Norwayspecimenpossibleclasts.jpg.3d12d2ed7d5c3bc576df6176c84b6cf6.jpg

1763198097_Norwayspecimen2possibleclasts.jpg.9c267896170db8b46be33091ef61b2ee.jpg

I also found a fascinating very detailed link/video of the geology south of that area that shows the variety of ordovician/cambrian rocks and the deformation effects. I've got to run but will include that in another post. 

Thanks again for the additional info. 

Regards, Chris 

• I Agree 1

Here's the fantastic video link from Professor Bjørlykke University of Oslo. 48 minutes about the geology of Norway in and around Oslo.  Has field discussions with geologic maps, pics of the rocks and formations and a few thin section shotsas well. Lots of discussion of limestones and how they came to be..

https://www.mn.uio.no/geo/english/services/knowledge/geology-oslo-area/

Short introduction with explanation and illustrations/maps. An introduction to the Oslo area's geology - A brief overview of the film: The geology of the Oslo area (pdf), Knut Bjørlykke, Dept of Geosciences, UiO.

See the film "The geology of the Oslo Area - 22 different locations" online

Looks like a great place to see/learn about. 

Regards, Chris 

Edited by Plantguy

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/19/2021 at 5:06 AM, Plantguy said:

Here's the fantastic video link from Professor Bjørlykke University of Oslo. 48 minutes about the geology of Norway in and around Oslo.  Has field discussions with geologic maps, pics of the rocks and formations and a few thin section shotsas well. Lots of discussion of limestones and how they came to be..

https://www.mn.uio.no/geo/english/services/knowledge/geology-oslo-area/

Short introduction with explanation and illustrations/maps. An introduction to the Oslo area's geology - A brief overview of the film: The geology of the Oslo area (pdf), Knut Bjørlykke, Dept of Geosciences, UiO.

See the film "The geology of the Oslo Area - 22 different locations" online

Looks like a great place to see/learn about. 

Regards, Chris 

Thank you very much for the video link. I did not know all the spectacular places within 2 hours driving from my home place.

I have worked hard to make clearer my previous points:

sclearasday.jpg

20210630_205727.jpg

20210630_205503.jpg

parenchym.jpg

elgoglogogstubber.jpg

On 6/17/2021 at 6:25 AM, Plantguy said:

Thanks for the additional clear photos and the geology info! 

I agree with Rockwoods assessment above. I now see a couple of features more clearly in both specimens that appear to me to be more like sedimentary features and believe probably once were carbonate type rocks originall--limestone/dolostone? with fine striations that are making me lean away from the petrified wood possibility. Here are some closeups of what I believe are clasts--parts of other rocks/or lens of different material within the generally striated sections. One what appears to have slightly less rounded elongated fragments and the other thicker lens like--maybe siliceous or of a more pure carbonate.

1561332432_Norwayspecimenpossibleclasts.jpg.3d12d2ed7d5c3bc576df6176c84b6cf6.jpg

1763198097_Norwayspecimen2possibleclasts.jpg.9c267896170db8b46be33091ef61b2ee.jpg

I also found a fascinating very detailed link/video of the geology south of that area that shows the variety of ordovician/cambrian rocks and the deformation effects. I've got to run but will include that in another post. 

Thanks again for the additional info. 

Regards, Chris 

A bit rough translation I noticed in map is mostly Precambrian and Cambrian. 

Iooc, Lots of additional good photos/comparative examples--sometimes almost too much,  but I'm still not there with feeling any are actually fossil wood. 

That's not to say definitely they arent I just cant rationalize in my mind they are--they look like sedimentary/perhaps metamorphic rock/weathering structures. I know it must be exasperating with the amount of time you know doubt put into matching your photos against known fossil wood examples. I think you are going to have to present samples to someone local/in country so that they can do a closeup macro/micro examination.

I sure want them to be fossil wood but I'm just not there with these images. Sorry. 

Tim has more experience than I with fossil wood, maybe he has some differing thoughts or is familiar with your geology...lets see if he can take a look @paleoflor

Regards, Chris 

• I found this Informative 2

The fourth line or set of photos is interesting because it resembles the shape of a decaying log, to my non expert eyes it looks like growth rings on the end.  Coincidental?

On 6/9/2021 at 8:55 AM, looc said:

20210608_155635.jpg

20210608_155839.jpg

Differential erosion. The light gray is micrite (fine-grained limestone), and the latter is not. It likely represents amorphous aluminum and iron oxides and clays, or perhaps silica. Either way, it is far more resistant to erosion. The limestone readily erodes when exposed to fresh water containing carbonic acid

Edited by hemipristis

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

Well, a few of your objects may remotely look like a duck.

But they have yet to swim, walk and quack like a duck.

Franz Bernhard

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

I am reminded of Monty Python and the Holy Grail...

419abf33676315624b9b7288eebf3409.png.6f703c99273517d18237286ab53f7ef3.png

Edited by darrow

@looc the scientific way to make this determination is to lay out the ways you would use to make the distinctions between the possibilities you are charged with considering, then list the characters of the specimen. If some of those distinctions involve a microscope and thin sections, those should be applied. If some things to consider involve specialized knowledge you do not have you should get advice from people who do. That is why we all come here. Do you have  experience with the study of material like the suggestions made by the replies here?