Wall hanging fossils

jnicholes

2 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Mostly it is a matter of preference. Yet, while it's undoubtedly true that a serif font is easier to read - hence their use in books and newspapers - a sans serif font looks less compound due to its lack of guiding lines (the serif lines). Is primarily for this reason, the less compound and cleaner look, that I recommend it here, as it'll attract less attention to itself than a label with a serif font...

Maybe so. I suspect that smaller, more discreet labels will do more to reduce the distraction. I like the idea of black labels with white lettering, if that's possible... :Confused04:

8 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

Maybe so. I suspect that smaller, more discreet labels will do more to reduce the distraction. I like the idea of black labels with white lettering, if that's possible... :Confused04:

I wonder, since if you do it by printing, the letters will turn out looking smaller/narrower (know a lighter) than the actual font printed, as the black ink has a tendency to encroach on the lettering. Using professional printing gear it should be possible, though. Not quite sure how they do it...

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

1 hour ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

I wonder, since if you do it by printing, the letters will turn out looking smaller/narrower (know a lighter) than the actual font printed, as the black ink has a tendency to encroach on the lettering. Using professional printing gear it should be possible, though. Not quite sure how they do it...

That might work - use a computer printer and make an image file with black background and white lettering, and use a bold font to counteract that bleeding into the letters.

• I Agree 1