New keichousaurus. Painted or not?

TeethCollector

This one is a new Keichousaurus that I bought and I know there are a lot of overly restored or painted fossils.

I see a repair line going through the body and I think at least some part of the fossil is real.. but anyone can figure out which part is painted or not?

196569344_1811584379020674_5682085963141562681_n.thumb.jpg.237c62ccf62f53d3a6fd6576659cff5d.jpg

195938436_1811584165687362_8057406966231684025_n.thumb.jpg.937115a2e5e7ea3f55f8db3e0c4522fe.jpg

196478297_1811584305687348_8616902443605126502_n.thumb.jpg.d0490c8b82e0476d9cbf858f8e1733f4.jpg

And does anyone know what those round impressions are? Is this a impression of a shoes or something?

shoes.JPG.cc9254fd19774c9cede3a9225da612c8.JPG

image.png

Don´t bother with paint.

It´s largely ground to death. Very poor prep or poor preservation with fragile bones, with much bone substance lost during prep. Just avoid it.

(I can not look at the head, too painful :(.)

Interestingly, some of the "finger bones" look very nice and clean and detailed - maybe here is some paint involved?

Either way, just avoid it altogether.

Franz Bernhard

• I Agree 1

Thank you all!

Actually, the price includes all of the horrible repairs and prep. It was pretty cheap! I was just wondered if it is a real deal or man-made art. 

8 minutes ago, TeethCollector said:

I was just wondered if it is a real deal or man-made art. 

@RJB and I were so convinced of its reality that we did not explicitly answered this question :D. Sorry!
Franz Bernhard

34 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

@RJB and I were so convinced of its reality that we did not explicitly answered this question :D. Sorry!
Franz Bernhard

Oh please don't say sorry! I'm a novice collector who needs a lot of information.. More comments helps more!

I heard that it is getting harder to get good quality keichou.. The price of Keichou with good size and great prep quality was like a thousand or two in the US

Edited by TeethCollector

2 minutes ago, TeethCollector said:

Keichou with good size and great prep quality was like a thousand or two in the US

Indeed, that seems to be the ratio. There are lots of Keichos here on TFF, most with horrible prep job. We do not see many fakes, though.

This is such a lovely fossil, mostly so well preserved. It always hurts deeply to see them mostly destroyed.

Franz Bernhard

11 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

There are lots of Keichos here on TFF, most with horrible prep job. We do not see many fakes, though.

Yes very true.. it also works for another fossils.. for example, trilobites.. Not many fakes, but lots of bad preps and too-much restorations are available.

It would be a lot of work, but has anyone tried to "rescue" one of these poor butchered specimens by embedding them in some matrix and then grinding down to the fossil from the other side and prepping with proper tools, or acid prepping?  The side that is still embedded should be OK, except for the painted on bones of course.

Don

I did this post a couple of years ago. It not the best specimen and there are other members with much nicer ones.

I do think that is post adds a good benchmark for an ok example and lower price. 

• Enjoyed 1

41 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

I did this post a couple of years ago. It not the best specimen and there are other members with much nice ones. I do think that is post adds a good benchmark for an ok example and lower price. 

Thank you for the good example!

I can clearly see some texture of the legs! Very nice example

26 minutes ago, TeethCollector said:

Thank you for the good example!

Yes, very nice, thanks, @Bobby Rico!

Now you can see the nightmare even clearer, because your butchered specimen, @TeethCollector, has an even better "posing" then the well-prepped specimen of Bobby... :Cry:

Franz Bernhard

• Thank You 1

21 hours ago, TeethCollector said:

Actually, the price includes all of the horrible repairs and prep. It was pretty cheap! I was just wondered if it is a real deal or man-made art.

Easy to just say what we see sometimes and not answer your question.  Sorrry

RB

2 hours ago, RJB said:

Easy to just say what we see sometimes and not answer your question.  Sorrry

You don't need to say sorry! I really appreciate your answer for my topic. :D

• Thank You 1

On 6/12/2021 at 10:20 PM, TeethCollector said:

Oh please don't say sorry! I'm a novice collector who needs a lot of information.. More comments helps more!

I heard that it is getting harder to get good quality keichou.. The price of Keichou with good size and great prep quality was like a thousand or two in the US

I understand that enforcement has been stepped up against digging of fossils at Yunnan and Guizhou in which Keichousaurus occurs, and thus there is a less Keichousaurus available.  For your comparison, the best specimens are the "natural" unprepped form (i.e. you see the specimen clearly after splitting the slabs), like the bottom one.  Of course, some prepped ones are also good looking given they are prepped nicely (the upper one).

IMG_9570.JPG

IMG_9571.JPG

Edited by Crazyhen
  • Enjoyed 2

19 hours ago, Crazyhen said:

I understand that enforcement has been stepped up against digging of fossils at Yunnan and Guizhou in which Keichousaurus occurs, and thus there is a less Keichousaurus available.  For your comparison, the best specimens are the "natural" unprepped form (i.e. you see the specimen clearly after splitting the slabs), like the bottom one.  Of course, some prepped ones are also good looking given they are prepped nicely (the upper one).

Unprepped examples also looks great! Thank you... I can't believe that the lower one is the unprepped one.. Looks better than majority of prepped one!

Update

I cleaned the head and upper neck of the Keichousaurus, and the head and neck faded away...

Since a lot of detail is still visible as a cast, I guess the head and neck gone through really poor preparation, and digger applied some paint to hide it.

Another half of the neck and entire body, tail are real. The neck and head were enhanced by paint.

Please be careful when you buy Keichosaurus. I'll never gonna make such a mistake again..

202349425_1310642815997206_78804690302682605_n.jpg

Edited by TeethCollector

So... I want to touch-up the head and neck..

Has anyone tried some touch-up? What type of paint should I use?

Edited by TeethCollector