UNKNOWN INCISOR TOOTH?

RescueMJ

Greetings,

Unknown tooth, possible incisor. It is a lot bigger than Equus cheek teeth I have found in area. Pleistocene material, inland Venice, FL.  Occlusal surface is 2cm x 3cm.  Tooth is 4cm tall x 3cm wide. Occlusal surface is shiny.  Large Vertebrae found 20 feet away in spoil pile. See attached photo.  Thank you in advance for your assistance.  

Vertebrae is 5 inches x 5 inches

TOOTH4.jpg

TOOTH2.jpg

TOOTH3.jpg

OCCLUSAL VIEW.jpg

P7.jpg

P4.jpg

I believe that the vertebra is whale.  Sloth Teeth have a small set of very distinctive shapes. Yours seems to fit one of them.  NICE find.  Sloth is rare.

03Mar2021M_jeffersoniiCaniniform.thumb.jpg.223e28196fbf0a7bca2d41bb54de95a7.jpg

Edited by Shellseeker

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I search and found this Caniniform that comes from Paramylodon harlani.  The one I add previously is from Jefferson's ground sloth

ParamylodonHarlaniCaniiform.thumb.jpg.0809ea7546eb24f65f92a4553ee3db34.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Michael,

Man that first one really does give a tooth impression doesnt it, but as Nate points out it sure is bone....under close inspection with zooming I think you can really see some of the fine cellular structures linear/circular features in several different areas...might be even more noticeable if it was wet and you were using a hand lens to look in those areas. That color change/gradation is deceptive. I still like it!

333862130_Unknownbonefragmentshowingtextures.jpg.a2de4a5876a02585701e7c38329ceb29.jpg

Other finds are nice!

Regards, Chris 

Today was the best hunting/catching fossil day in 6 months. I’ll take your advice and do some different imaging. 

Updated photo while wet.  I can see cellular structure as noted above.  Now, I'm clueless on this one.

Update_Pic.jpg