Phareodus Encaustus with Aspiration (Notogoneus?) from Green River Formation

DC-FL-DC

Wanted to show this phareodus encaustus prior to preparation that my daughter found during our Father's Day night dig in the 18" layer in the Green River Formation in Kemmerer, WY.

The team with us, and some experts looking at it after, now suspect that it is aspirated, perhaps with a notogoneus. Having it examined by xray prior to preparation as we may end donating this one to Fossil Butte Monument if it is what it looks like. Phareodus is every bit of 24" in length or longer.

The best Father's Day gift was the sheer joy of my 9 year-old daughter upon her discovery. We love searching together.

Screen Shot 2021-07-04 at 2.29.34 PM.png

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 8

That Phareodus is definitely on the large side. I look forward to seeing it after prep, especially if it is in fact aspirated.

What an exciting find for an anything-year-old!

:tff:

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

4 hours ago, DC-FL-DC said:

Wanted to show this phareodus encaustus prior to preparation that my daughter found during our Father's Day night dig in the 18" layer in the Green River Formation in Kemmerer, WY.

The team with us, and some experts looking at it after, now suspect that it is aspirated, perhaps with a notogoneus. Having it examined by xray prior to preparation as we may end donating this one to Fossil Butte Monument if it is what it looks like. Phareodus is every bit of 24" in length or longer.

The best Father's Day gift was the sheer joy of my 9 year-old daughter upon her discovery. We love searching together.

Screen Shot 2021-07-04 at 2.29.34 PM.png

Congrats on the incredible find! The quarry actually posted this one, insanely rare! I’ve found some rare stuff, but never an aspiration! 

Okay, you got me. Time to learn something new. Please explain "aspirated", because I always thought it meant "drawn into the lungs".

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Fish choked to death on an object. (Fish another most times)

Examples. I keep hoping to find one in the fish I prep but no luck yet..

2984FE31-0A25-4CB1-9309-FBCF37DA301B.jpeg

D346FE8E-596A-4972-9FDC-74AEB18D99B0.jpeg

Aha, got it. Thank you.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!