Light source needed for AO stereo microscope

tombk

I haven’t gotten it in the mail yet, but I recently purchased an American Optical 569 Stereo star zoom microscope on a boom arm.
1318154171_ImageofAOscope.thumb.png.043cda2e04fb4b90ed82dcf98ebc178d.png

I’ve been very excited about this. I just realized, though, that it doesn’t come with a light source! :( I will be using it to prep fossils I find. These typically span from a couple of inches to about a foot, including the matrix. Where I live in Iowa, I find mostly brachiopods, corals, and some crinoids. So far, I’ve been prepping with brushes, dental pics, an electric engraver, and a Dremel rotary tool. 

I would really appreciate any suggestions for how to illuminate what I will be working on when I use my cool new scope. Thanks much. 

34 minutes ago, tombk said:

I haven’t gotten it in the mail yet, but I recently purchased an American Optical 569 Stereo star zoom microscope on a boom arm.

I’ve been very excited about this. I just realized, though, that it doesn’t come with a light source! :(

Good to see you picked out your scope. The most efficient lighting would be to get an LED light source adapter for stereo microscopes. They sell separate ones around for conversion or use on old halogen and fluorescent lit scopes. There's two main types for stereo scopes, gooseneck lights and ring lights. Here's a couple examples Amscope sells.

microscope-illuminator-led-11d-gooseneck.thumb.jpg.72b7dd3cfadcb31d33276fad9891ddcb.jpg

microscope-ring-light-led-144w-zk-measurements.thumb.jpg.e29e3e8e2f989103068970559c5d9510.jpg

The ring lights screw tighten onto the objective lens or stereo head so if you get a ring light you need to make sure the dimensions are appropriate so it will fit over your objective lens.

• Thank You 1

The Amscope clamp on LED shown will not work on mine as the lens does not extend out. I would wait until you have your in hand. I have a IKEA flex arm single LED light from a thrift store. Also a OTTlite flex arm LED table lamp  that is dimable.. 

• Thank You 1

42 minutes ago, Bob Saunders said:

. I have a IKEA flex arm single LED light from a thrift store.

That’s what I use. I’m happy with it.

96CFE554-B0FB-41FD-9DCC-5AD5D5960D9A.jpeg

• Thank You 1