Petrified wood? Found in Big Brook, NJ

TRexEliot

Wasn't sure if this was petrified wood, or just anthracite coal from another location that had gotten lost in the brook. Seems to have bark on one side, but wasn't sure what to make of it.

20210706_151902.jpg

20210706_151845.jpg

20210706_151853.jpg

20210706_151858.jpg

This is not petrified wood.

It is some type of mineral (maybe mica?), but definitely not petrified wood.

Here is petrified wood from the streams, as an example.

IMG_8981.thumb.JPG.ce356047a9a8bbd73a74a279eeb57840.JPG

IMG_8980.thumb.JPG.6c4d211ca8bda576569c03d731bbe8e2.JPG

: )

@Trevor I assume it is anthracite in that case. Probably just material that got washed into the river from a nearby farm or something. Definitely not Micah, but you can see the iridescense in the last picture, which would be consistent with anthracite coal.

Edited by TRexEliot
  • I found this Informative 1

4 hours ago, TRexEliot said:

@Trevor I assume it is anthracite in that case. Probably just material that got washed into the river from a nearby farm or something. Definitely not Micah, but you can see the iridescense in the last picture, which would be consistent with anthracite coal.

Thank you; I am not good with minerals, just with the types of fossils found in NJ Cretaceous deposits.

: )

@Trevor any chance I could send you pictures of some of my other finds I'm trying to ID? I am trying to go through my collection (mostly big brook material) and to identify some of the specimens that have been puzzling me.

15 hours ago, TRexEliot said:

I agree with anthracite. It looks exactly like pieces I've found there.