Hi, is it a tooth or is it flint?!

mr.cheese

Hi all,

I run a rock and fossil shop in the UK and I had a customer come in and tell me about finding a tooth on holiday in the Isle of Wight in the 1970's he has now emailed me a few pictures over, I was wondering if anyone could help me to help him?

I am inclined to think it is flint but I don't want to say that yet as he has fond memories of finding it and its not nice to squash them. So any pointers would be great.

He found it in Alum bay

IMG_0696.jpg IMG_0697.jpg IMG_0698.jpg

Definitely not a tooth. Could be a chert nodule, but can't really tell without knowing the local geology or seeing a broken end exposing more than the outer rind.

Edited by TRexEliot

looks geologic to me, likely not a tooth

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

Flint nodule, I'm afraid :s_cry:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

No enamel, so not a tooth, unfortunately (also, the shape doesn't match what you'd expect of a tooth) :(

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Thank you everyone, the lack of enamel was the thing that I thought too. Your help is very much appreciated now I just have to figure out a way to say no but leave a tiny bit of hope for him!

Could be a free finger of a very large decapod in concretion. Not sure how to prospect those concretions though. Close up of that chipped off portion would help.

Just rembered the last festival of the hippy era... could it be the remeberence of one of the two fingers used as sign of peace, freedom, you know (Churchill)...? :)

• Enjoyed 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

On 7/13/2021 at 2:44 PM, Plax said:

Could be a free finger of a very large decapod in concretion. Not sure how to prospect those concretions though. Close up of that chipped off portion would help.

I shall ask him for another picture, will at the very least give him a new thing it "might" be!

I will be back!