I've finally decoded Austin, and now it's revealing some beautiful fossils

Jared C

This post is not so much about a single trip, but more to showcase this summer's hunting, with some details or stories with some of the posts.

Historically, for me at least, the Austin area is one heck of a locale to scour.There are some incredible, charismatic, interesting fossils around, but man, looking for them can beat you down at times.

I am pleased to say at least, that I think I've finally clicked for the area though. I can find something of interest practically every time I go now. But enough rambling, here are (some) of my favorite finds as of late: 

1.) First thing's first - of the fossils I'm showing today, this one was closest to home, coming out of Round Rock, Texas

IMG_0341.thumb.jpg.ccc5ad25d5dac35ff9b2ca17c2a5ebcc.jpg

As you can tell, I have not cleaned it yet - that may irk some people, but I actually kind of appreciate fossils that look as natural as possible. 

I was not actually fossil hunting when we discovered this Ammonite partial. An old friend of mine invited me to a local park along a creek, to go fishing and herping (finding snakes). We were stomping around the creek, hardly paying attention to anything, just chatting away.

As we stepped out, back onto the bank, she pointed out a strange texture protruding out of the bank..

"Is this a fossil?" to which I replied, "I doubt there are fossils here, probably not" The water was clouded, so I just groped around until I felt that texture - the greenish part above to the right is what was sticking out of the bank. After wiggling it out with great effort, we were both surprised and excited, making for a great memory in the waning light, in the middle of a forested creek.  Since it was her find, I insisted she keep it, but despite thinking it was super cool, she insisted it's not really her interest and that I take it home instead.

Since then, I've returned to this spot, and discovered that there's about a 5 meter stretch where ammonites poke out the bank consistently. It's nice to have a new spot, found with friends.

2.) All the rest of these come out of the same creek in austin, and from 2 different spots at said creek.

IMG_0355.thumb.jpg.df343198e90ecd4a2435c17664890e75.jpg

At the top, a plesiosaur caudal rib. All of my my finds from this creek came from one site, except for the caudal rib, mosasaur tooth, and a bison tooth, which came from another single site.

At the bottom left, a chunk of columbian mammoth tooth, and at the bottom right, a fossilized fish vertebra.

3.) a closed (exogyra? I'm not versed with invertebrates) oyster. I've never found one that's still closed like this, so I suppose it's unique enough to showcase

IMG_0343.thumb.jpg.047a849c6cd9e4494c09145a72bf6e5f.jpg

4.) These are some of my pride and joys - on the right, a tylosaur tooth. You can imagine the absolute mosasaur meltdown I had after finding that one. Immediately to it's left is a large Scapanorynchus texanus. Of the ptychodus teeth, I know that the upper tooth is a mortoni, and a beautiful one at that, with a complete root as well. As for the ptychodus tooth at the bottom, I haven't decided on a species, but it was nonetheless a wonderful find, despite missing the root. The last tooth on the left is another scapanorynchus tooth that is in worse condition, but I don't mind, as it is still a shark tooth and still from austin, giving it a gold medal in my books.

IMG_0353.thumb.jpg.9a6c7c0997c975a44f82c0a52b89e8e4.jpg

5.) Lastly, some more recent mammalian stuff. The mammoth tooth chunk would've been a better fit here. 

Here are the four bison teeth I've discovered so far. My favorite came out of the same site that produced the mosy tooth and plesiosaur caudal rib, and is the one that I have a separate photo of.

I like it the most because it has the best signs of preservation out of any of the teeth, making it probably the oldest out of the four. The beautiful orange (which is seen in the mammoth tooth piece as well) is just beginning to creep in along the edges, so I think it's safe to say the tooth might be many hundreds of years old, if not well over a thousand. I know practically nothing on preservation rates, so that's more of a loose guess of mine. Feel free to correct me if needed, as I'd love to learn.

Lastly, some native tools. Not the best in terms of quality, but interesting tidbits of history nonetheless.

IMG_0359.thumb.jpg.7431ef4207ee0517f049ffb48658f41d.jpgIMG_0357.thumb.jpg.3573891b851786b8b08ee0d7d63c50cc.jpgIMG_0345.thumb.jpg.0c2213d8b37a6a3145a4df53a5b55bba.jpg

Edited by Jared C
  • Enjoyed 10

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

Awesome post, I am glad that you've gotten to know the area better in terms of fossil collecting! Hopefully some more reptile material is on the way in your future at these sites!

• Thank You 1

: )

What he said! :DittoSign:

You definitely have some great hunting grounds and a well-trained eye!:hammer01:

• Thank You 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

4 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

and a well-trained eye!

thank you! It's certainly meant that I had to take a big learning curve but I'm glad it's a curve I pursued nonetheless!

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

Great finds !!! I lived in Austin 1996-2001 and tried to hunt fossils in places like Bull Creek off Spicewoods Springs Road, checking the Internet for any hint of decent locations and failed miserably..:shakehead:

I moved to SW Florida and the rest , as they say, is History.  The Peace River was splendid enough to make this incompetent fossil hunter successful !!!

I am pleased that you had more insight and endurance to make Austin pay off in great fossils. 

• Enjoyed 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Hey Jared C, nice finds.  If you send me a couple of side view photos and more focused top view photo of your unidentified Ptychodus tooth, I will give it a shot on ID.  Also, let me know if you found it near the Ptychodus mortoni (in formation or as stream float) or in a different area. 

• Thank You 1

Nice finds.  Also look for some giant gastropods near Austin.  I know there are some fist size gastropods near that area.   I only found half the size of this one.   I found this video online and they were fossil hunting near Austin. 

Edited by Creek - Don
  • Enjoyed 1

On 7/16/2021 at 11:51 AM, Creek - Don said:

I know there are some fist size gastropods near that area

Another thing to look forward to, I've never found a gastropod even close to that stature. Thanks for sharing

On 7/16/2021 at 9:48 AM, LSCHNELLE said:

If you send me a couple of side view photos and more focused top view photo of your unidentified Ptychodus tooth, I will give it a shot on ID

Thanks, I tried to use the ptychodus ID guide here and I suspect it may be a mortoni as well. Also, on further examination I actually do think the whole root is in place now - just not the shape I'm used to. The tooth is pretty water rolled and I'm not that experienced so that's just my guess. Let me know what you think

IMG-0523.thumb.jpg.36408427e9551c3a0be8711c8954d370.jpgIMG-0522.thumb.jpg.abd0caadf1c5385561846eb2424f4082.jpgIMG-0517.thumb.jpg.60aee111135d3d32e6f4788a87d8e40d.jpgIMG-0521.thumb.jpg.e6e0c65a0a7ddf3768aaa96c8a85c84f.jpgIMG-0520.thumb.jpg.68cc513e5c0ddf46b4a47fba491567bf.jpg

Yes.  You are correct.  The radiating ridges are still visible even with the stream worn (or partially digested) appearance.  According to Shawn Hamm, there are at least 12 different forms of Ptychodus mortoni (with radiating ridges the commonality).  He should be putting a scientific paper out related to that matter in the next year.

If you are hunting the Austin Group formations, then it is most likely to be a P. mortoni with lesser chances here in the Austin area of P. atcoensis, P. mammilaris, P. whipplei, P. latissimus, P. martini (extremely rare), and P. rugosus (not likely in Austin area at all).  As you go higher above the Eagle Ford contact, the chances for P. atcoensis, P. mammilaris, P. whipplei, and P. latissimus go away.

• I found this Informative 4