Equine distal metacarpal? Recent?

Lone Hunter

Found this in creek that is in Trinity river flood plain, consists of QT and QAL where I find bison bones. I think this is horse but it is large for a cannon bone, it passes flame test but unsure if it's fossil so double checking my ID.

IMG_20210712_191427727.jpg

IMG_20210712_191415140.jpg

IMG_20210712_191536227.jpg

Appreciate the information, however I can't confirm my own ID or tell if it's recent.  :)

15 hours ago, Lone Hunter said:

Appreciate the information, however I can't confirm my own ID or tell if it's recent.  :)

Why can't you confirm? Does this photo from the 2nd link not strongly resemble the end of your bone? It is an Equus cannon bone, may be metatarsal or metacarpal.

image.png.1182cdfa7e82d86cf889285b7bc9b9cd.png

Telling if it is fossil or recent is a very different question, and since Equus appears in both the modern and fossil records for Texas, it is not easy and requires different expertise.

You can try the burn test. White hot pin into the find is supposed to smell if modern, not if fossil.  There are variations described on the Internet under "Fossil burn test"

• Thank You 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

33 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

You can try the burn test. White hot pin into the find is supposed to smell if modern, not if fossil.  There are variations described on the Internet under "Fossil burn test"

17 hours ago, Lone Hunter said:

it passes flame test but unsure if it's fossil so double checking my ID.

• Thank You 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

16 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

Right, read the thread. :DOH:

The fossil test is independent of the Equus identification...

• Thank You 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I believe this specimen is a metatarsal not a metacarpal .A dorsal(top) or palmer(posterior)view would be definitive.

Oops !  I see that the first photo is a posterior view  of this specimen. Though  part of the bone  is missing, I believe the bone is a metatarsal.

• Thank You 1