Plokmijn

I bought this at the Smithsonian a while back and I'm not even sure its real. If it is real any help identifying it would be much appreciated! Any tips on how to identify trilobites would also be great.

I'll answer any questions about the fossil although I know next to nothing about it.

Thanks in advance!

277509443_IMG_E06201.JPG

2111491166_IMG_E06211.JPG

1701689731_IMG_E06221.JPG

IMG_E0623[1].JPG

It is substantially real. Speaking as someone who did the exact thing at the Yale Peabody museum. :)

These are frequently excavated with dynamite, or other explosives. The shattered remains are then restored to a realistic appearance using filler. Once one realizes this it becomes easy to pick out the real sections of rock in the surface. These appear to be mostly around the perimeter here.

• Thank You 1

8 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

It is substantially real. Speaking as someone who did the exact thing at the Yale Peabody museum. :)

These are frequently excavated with dynamite, or other explosives. The shattered remains are then restored to a realistic appearance using filler. Once one realizes this it becomes easy to pick out the real sections of rock in the surface. These appear to be mostly around the perimeter here.

Thanks for the clarification! :D

Cambropallas telesto.

"Cambropallas is one of the most faked trilobites out there. Nearly all (99%) of the specimens of this trilobite on the market are either completely fake, or very heavily restored.

The fakes are typically created using resin in a mold which is then inlaid into a piece of sandstone.

Even the real ones will usually split out with part of the trilobite on each side of the rock. So often, the damaged areas will be crudely restored.
"

Fossilera.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

7 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Cambropallas telesto.

"Cambropallas is one of the most faked trilobites out there. Nearly all (99%) of the specimens of this trilobite on the market are either completely fake, or very heavily restored.

The fakes are typically created using resin in a mold which is then inlaid into a piece of sandstone.

Even the real ones will usually split out with part of the trilobite on each side of the rock. So often, the damaged areas will be crudely restored.
"

Fossilera.

Thanks for the information!